Linn bits

Buy and Sell - Trade and Public
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Linn bits

Post by YNWaN »

This glass fibre reinforced concrete plinth is a heck of a thing!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/581900 ... ting_top-5
Mark

hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

The guy who makes the Woodoosound* plinths is very responsive to ideas, and everyone I know who owns one of those plinths is very happy with it. I just don't know if he makes fluted plinths.

VTA, you have one of his, right?

* So, wood + voodoo + sound? Woodsong is a bit more pastoral. Woodoo seems to be Jimi Hendrixing the name a bit :)

hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

YNWaN wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:50 pm
This glass fibre reinforced concrete plinth is a heck of a thing!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/581900 ... ting_top-5
Might be a good match with the gothic fridges!

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Yeah, it might at that - access from below doesn’t look very easy though... perhaps it doesn’t matter but you would have to do most of the setup with the plinth removed.
Mark

hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Right, I'm not sure how that would work at all... some areas would be totally inaccessible, I'd think.

You'd want to be sure your LP12 jig was tightly bolted together before putting a behemoth like that into it, too :)

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

If it fits at all...
Mark

al2002

Post by al2002 »

Isn’t warping a consequence using improperly seasoned wood? I know amateur woodworkers who store wood for years to ensure it is dry before using it to make furniture. Not sure corner braces would make a major difference. FWIW, My own 40 year old unbraced fluted plinth is still true. A corner brace would allow for attaching an extra bolt, as on new LP12 top plates, but that is to compensate for other problems.

Re. exotic wood plinth pricing, it takes about $25 worth of walnut to make a Linn plinth. Exotic - not endangered - woods may cost 3-5 times as much. No way does this justify an increase from 1k to 3k. Fortunately, there are now alternative suppliers of exotic wood plinths. Not too long ago I saw a newer production LP12. The factory cherry plinth on it looked furniture grade to me.

Fancy joints, even inlays if you want them, are available from master carpenters, albeit at a price.

May I suggest to the moderators that the posts on LP 12 plinths be removed from this thread and be placed in a new thread in the Hi Fi forum under the heading ‘Linn Plinths ’ or something similar?

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Well you can suggest it - but that’s not the same as managing to do it... will try to remember how, but it’s not a very intuitive process.
Mark

VTA

Post by VTA »

hifiaf wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:26 pm

VTA, you have one of his, right?
Yes I have one in Cherry and the quality was beautiful. Build went together like butter!