No fun

Non Hi-Fi or music topics
VTA

No fun

Post by VTA »

Depositing this here in the non audio section. Looks like no fun at all.

https://www.analogmagik.com/product

I enjoy the endless tinkering myself.

karma67

Re: No fun

Post by karma67 »

for an extra grand the bird comes with it! lol

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Oh yes, I’ve seen this - Ammonite Audio sell it in the UK (£750.00) - I must say I would really like this and it’s only the cost that putting me off buying it. If I have a concern it’s with the fact that you have to rely on a record and the quality of the pressing of that record.
Mark

VTA

Post by VTA »

Maybe some form of rental might be nice for some of us?
I do think it is quite clever, just felt it would be a bit contentious to post in the audio section as I think super polarizing.

I do feel it could go further to measure the coloration of your arm/table etc if it came with a cartridge that the system was calibrated to. Sure that will add another $1500.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

That’s thoughtful of you but I don’t think it’s that much of a contentious issue - or am I missing something?
Mark

hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Analogmagik is based here in Toronto. Since I was also a little surprised by the cost, I wrote to the owner a few months ago and asked if I could try it out and write a review of it on my blog. Suffice it to say, he was not pleased with my request. "You don't value all the development cost into this and expect everything to be free, I've had real audio magazines review this thank you very much," etc. I think we was especially offended to see a U of Toronto professor (I guess he figures we're all rich) asking for something at a discount. He did then back down and invite me over for wine, but I was a little scared by that point.

From reading about it on other forums, it seems there are real issues with the accuracy of the results. Apparently they are inconsistent, and the system is very fussy, and changing one parameter changes all the others. Once you do get everything where the system wants it, it apparently doesn't sound obviously "right." I agree that the test disc is a real limitation — what if it's not perfectly flat, etc? And nothing works at all if you don't have the alignment set perfectly before you begin, which requires another set of tools that one can only trust so far — or, for Aro users, can be more or less impossible. And apparently you need to buy a special laptop just to run the software :(

Not worth the trouble, is my thinking on this.

sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

You should have replied, "that's thing about blogging and hosting a website everyone thinks it's for free."
One more Paradise left to complete.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

You’re probably aware but you can download various oscilloscope programs on to your PC and Behringer do a simple A to D converter that outputs to USB. Anyway, I’ve messed about using these tools and tones from test records. What I would say is that it’s a nice idea that you just align the channels etc - but the reality is there is a lot of noise and it’s very hard to see/locate the optimum setting.
Mark

hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

sq225917 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:46 pm
You should have replied, "that's thing about blogging and hosting a website everyone thinks it's for free."
This George Costanza-style comeback did occur to me :)