67 Ford Galaxie 500

Non Hi-Fi or music topics
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: 67 Ford Galaxie 500

Post by YNWaN » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:19 am

The repair on the door panel vinyl is amazingly good Dan! No, I can't see it.

Blimey, there sure is a lot of work when you look closely!
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:53 pm

It's not obvious to most people and even more could care less! Being a classic car owner is like being an audiophile in a lot of ways. Taking what you have and getting the very best out of it is common to both groups. And usually that entails getting into the details and making sure they are the best you can accomplish. Can you imagine there are many audiophiles who own equipment worth 10 times what have in this car? My wife says it keeps me busy. Of course she also says that I picked the two most expensive hobbies. I say counting her I have the three most expensive hobbies. 8-) She smiles and shakes her head while she walks away. I use that one when I want steak for dinner! :roll:

Dan
Last edited by MTPapaDan on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 pm

Update. I have not posted for a while because the car is having the front-end rebuilt and 4-wheel disc brakes added. I decided to let experts do this work 1) they have proper equipment 2) they can locate rare parts more easily 3) they will guarantee parts for life 4) they guarantee labor for 6 months. To add the disc brakes required the calipers, rotors, upper control arms ( just because they are adjustable and positive caster tends to improve overall handling), reservoir, master cylinder, proportioning valve, brake lines, new wheels and tires (because the original wheels don't have sufficient back spacing for disc calipers and I wanted a certain period-correct wheel). The suspension has all new bushings throughout, new idler arms, new shocks, the upper a-arms, new steering unit (it took them 3 tries to get the proper one to fit), upper and lower ball joints, and they bead blasted the reused parts and painted them flat black. They dialed in the brakes for a 60/40 front to rear ratio. They are finishing the rear as soon as springs come in. I wasn't happy with the stance and requested the rear get a 3/4" to 1" higher spring. This gives the Galaxie a slightly nose-down appearance. (If you look at pictures of car when I brought it home you see it is slightly nose up. This look was popular in that period because it mimicked the stance of dragsters. Having the nose up preloaded the rear suspension and weighted the rear tires to gain traction. A nose dpwn stance improves steering "feel" by weighting the front end.) Then they will do the wheel alignment and dial in the correct caster and toe-in to make it handle a bit better. One does this by aligning to factory specs and then driving the car. Then one sets max caster and toe in and drives car. One will be noticeably better. Then they back off to 1/2 caster and toe-in and drive again. Again one setting should be noticeably better. Then they go to either 1/4 or 3/4 settings as necessary. It's like the split-half method of troubleshooting electronics. Eventually, they then "play" with the toe-in using the same method. Finally, after adjustments, they record the settings in degrees for future alignments. Normally, the overall settings are near, if not very near, to the factory specs. Only positive caster is balanced against perceived handling. All this because of the new upper A-arms which are adjustable. The factory arms are not adjustable for caster. The new wheels and tires in plus-one 16'X7" size wheel and 235R70 X16 tire play a small part because the car is lower by 10mm or so. This affects alignment too.
Last edited by MTPapaDan on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:33 pm

Update time. Things always take longer than one hopes when their car is at the shop. Finally, got the right stance for car after ordering 3 pairs of front springs, none of which worked. Finally, we agreed to special order, new custom "rate" (in lbs. compression over total length) front springs from the manufacturer Moog. (no not the synth company) So I have my car back and can hopefully spend some winter days in garage working a LONG list of repairs and improvements. You will notice some rusted areas in the following pictures. Don't worry, the rust will be dealt with. The frame and lower body areas are all structurally sound. This is where the POR-15 rust converter comes in. When the bottom of car is finished there will be no more rust. Parts will appear finished as new from factory.

New power (disc) brake booster, (disc) master cylinder, and hand-bent brake lines to all 4 wheels.

New polymer Sway bar bushings. In fact though not singled out for comment, the entire front end has new bushings and bearings, visible in other photos.

Shot of one new custom front spring.

One Magnaflow muffler and 3" exhaust tubing. Notice bottom of car is not rusted. What is there is surface rust, which I will banish to Hell! Just seeing if you're paying attention.

Other Magnaflow muffler. Similar rust here.

New fuel sending unit in gas tank. (Now the gas gauge reads correctly!)

New bracket for emergency brake cable to discs. Required for disc conversion from drums.

Left rear disc brake set up with new "ultra" shocks

Right rear disc brake set up.

Another emergency brake fitting added.

Part of new E-brake system.

C6 Auto trans with new 3500 rpm stall converter and shift kit.

Right front suspension showing new parts like Idler arms, Pittman arms, upper and lower ball joints, A-arm bushings, and sway bar bushings.

Right front suspension showing new parts like Idler arms, Pittman arms, upper and lower ball joints, A-arm bushings, and sway bar bushings. New custom spring. Front disc brake set up with new calipers and lines.

New steering bushing. Above (hidden) new steering box.

Left side suspension up grades similar to right.

Left side suspension up grades similar to right.

I will get pictures of stance and new wheel/tire package when it stops raining.

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:22 am

Here are the photos of car back in garage with new wheels and brakes.

Looks a little different now with lower stance and period correct wheels and tires.

She sure looks good. Can't wait to get more done. You can see the new calipers through the new American Racing Torque Thrust wheels.

New rear wheel with discs and calipers.

New front wheel with discs and calipers.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Looks much better with the new wheels, tyres and brakes :).
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:56 pm

YNWaN wrote:Looks much better with the new wheels, tyres and brakes :).
Probably should have cleaned off that greasy fingerprint smudge on the wheel? lol. Thanks!

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:48 am

I am working on the rear taillights of Galaxie. I removed the assemblies from car. Outside body color housing. Inner reflector assy. Lens assembly with accents. Old style backup light bulbs replaced with white 60 segment LEDs with 110 lumens. Center clear lens. Old style brake/turn lights replaced with 52 segment RED LEDs with 90 lumens. Red lens. With new "silvered" reflector surfaces this will be a GIANT step up in performance.

Left removed.

This shows damage car had in left rear. Notice the valance on right of picture. Someone welded strips together to rebuild a damaged valance. NOT good. Valance should have been bent from one solid piece of metal and bolted to rear wings. You can see the gap in bottom center. This is actually a hole into trunk!!! The metal behind that is supposed to be in the curve of the body colored housing. You can see the tearing etc. of the housing. I will attempt to repair this.

Closer look at valance strips. Rusting on edges.

Bottom edge of left rear quarter panel (wing).

Right side disassembled. Housing, lens, and reflector all good on this side. The bright work is pitted on both sides. It needs repaired and re-chromed. I can't afford that expense right now so I will polish it best I can and reassemble.

The three parts: Housing, reflector, and lens with chrome accents.

Weathered and dirty lens. Gaskets are all dry-rotted.

Other side.

Outer Chrome surround. Corroded. Needs replaced or re-chromed. I will polish it best I can for now.

Water got inside reflector and rusted it. Left side of course.

I removed rust from both reflector bodies and sprayed interior with silver reflective paint and outside with flat black.

You may have noticed how "yellowed" the glass lens were. I cleaned them with paint thinner to remove obvious overspray. I then soaked them over night in denture cleaner, Efferdent. Good trick I found on net. It worked!!! Who knew??

Chrome polished the best I could achieve.

More severely pitted Chrome. Polished best I could.

End result of hours of polishing.

Ready for reassembly.

Parts laid out with new gaskets and new lenses. The other lenses were too faded and looked shabby.

Image]
Rear view of assembled lens and reflectors.

Rear view of assembled lens and reflectors.

Outside view of completed assembly. Looks better anyway.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:49 am

A lot of work went into restoring those lights - they do look a heck of a lot better though. I reckon you will eventually have them rechromed though.
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:43 pm

I 'll have to find someone to do them right at the correct price. My car club buddies should be able to steer me to a reputable restorer. Here in US chroming businesses are hard to find. Maybe one per major city. Most new materials are plastic and can be replaced very cheaply. The Environmental Protection Agency and OSHA have so many regulations, it has become cost prohibitive to run a chrome restoration business. I think there are lots of poisons and caustic materials used to plate metals. The Copper, Nickel, and Chromium keep going up in price. Then there's the process. Remove current plating. Drill out all pitted or corroded areas. Weld in new material. Sand and polish to correct profile. Then plate. Plus labor. When I said a $1K per light I wasn't kidding. They don't have after market chrome pieces for this Galaxie. There are so many Camaros and Mustangs they retooled to make the parts. A reproduction Mustang front bumper can cost $1800! A mirror $300. To do my bumpers $4k ea. I'm lucky the ones I have are really very good. They could have been redone, I don't know. Front is almost perfect. The rear has a light socket for towing and one small chip. I bought reproduction mirrors (2) $105 for remote left and $75 for the right. You can see why I spend hours polishing the bright work.

Cheers,
Dan