67 Ford Galaxie 500

Non Hi-Fi or music topics
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: 67 Ford Galaxie 500

Post by YNWaN » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:57 pm

Thanks for adding the notes to the pictures - very interesting. Glad to see you are now a master of picture posting too :).
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:02 pm

Note: Some people might be thinking "Why not get aluminum re-anodized or clear-coated?" I could pay for that. But I like the clear, high-polished look better than the cloudy anodized. After a while anodized pieces begin to cloud, whether this is from UV sunlight I don't know. Another choice is to clear-coat paint the aluminum. This might be a good choice, but I am skeptical. Having the high-polished look needs more maintenance. It's a choice one has to make. If you get a ding or pit you sand and polish it out. Can't do that with anodized or painted parts because you'd have to sand through the coating. So, in the end, if one has time and can properly care for polished aluminum, then that's the right choice. Oh, and it looks AWESOME!

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:33 pm

Anodizing shouldn't cloud, ever. That's an indication of a failure in the process or impurities in the metal. Probably the latter given when she was built. You've certainly put some hours into her.
One more Paradise left to complete.

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:30 am

Chrome shouldn't pit either, but does for your reasons. I'm sure metals from 50 years ago had plenty of impurities. We use a liquid ice-melt on our roads in the winter and I assure you it clouds even modern anodized and chromed metals. I don't know the chemical composition, but it's some type of chloride. Probably a plot by after market wheel makers to gain profits. (Not kidding) Isn't anodizing = aluminum chloride? I'll look it up. (From EHow; "Why does Aluminum Discolor. Reason #1 Weathering Bloom:
Weathering bloom is the first likely cause of discoloration. Ordinarily, the surface of the anodized aluminum is sealed with hot water during manufacturing. If the sealing is not adequate, the surface may later become etched, especially if brought in prolonged contact with an acidic environment. Another, similar problem is chemical attack, which occurs when acid or alkaline solutions remain in prolonged contact with the product. By the time the discoloration has become visible, it's largely irreversible and the part may need to be replaced.") So prolonged contact with our corrosive magnesium chloride (Wiki: "Magnesium chloride is the name for the chemical compounds with the formulas MgCl2 and its various hydrates MgCl2(H2O)x. These salts are typical ionic halides, being highly soluble in water. The hydrated magnesium chloride can be extracted from brine or sea water. In North America, magnesium chloride is produced primarily from Great Salt Lake brine. Its second-most common use is ice control." It can make the anodizing cloudy. It only took 50 years! ;)
Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_12197691_anodi ... color.html Thanks for keeping me straight though! Ever notice most modern cars don't use chrome, nickle, or anodized trim? Most use plastic. Some cars have none at all! It's cheaper and easier to replace when it gets damaged.

Dan
Last edited by MTPapaDan on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:49 am

At a point today where I could take a few pictures. Remember the car was like this when I got it. The ex-owner had a Maaco paint job done. They spray any car for $399 USD! He had extra work done so he paid $3,000 USD! (He left the receipt in the glove -box along with speeding ticket for 105 mph in 75 mph zone. $300 for speeding and $750 for reckless driving) Extras: Holes filled. Rust on rocker panels fixed. Clear-coat (1 only) He got ripped off!!!!! Obviously an "American Idiot" (clever Green Day reference) Great album by-the-way!

Poor aluminum, needs polished

Broken antenna. I am going to fill this hole, because I will use my I-Pod in the car When I install one! lol..

Useless mirror, probably the original from '67. I bought 2 new mirrors L&R for car. Install later.

Same mirror. The pivot is so rusted the mirror can't stay adjusted. 1 bump and .....

Dull and pitted aluminum.

Chromed door handle. The driver's side looked like this before polishing. (See picture below). Notice when they taped off car they wound up painting the rubber gasket between handle and door. I have new gaskets.

Chrome trim at the bottom, back corner of rear window. Needs re-plated or replaced.

Chrome trim around rear, bottom of vinyl top, passenger side

Dull and pitted aluminum trim

Driver's side taillight assembly. If you look below the piece you can see where painter's missed spraying the white. It's still the original light tan. Lots of bad chrome. I hope it can be salvaged and re-plated.

Passenger's side taillight assembly. They painted this side. Well, sort of.... The ice melt we use in USA is reason rear taillights are so corroded. I hope it can be salvaged and re-plated.

Also notice how faded the red lens is. I bought new lenses L&R.

Peeling chrome.

This is the driver's side of the trunk (boot) lid. You can see the distortion in the reflections. There is a low spot. I can pop it out with a suction tool. Never know it was there. I think left rear was in an accident at one time.

The taillight housing assembly is misaligned with quarter panel. Defect in paint.

Left rear quarter panel. Lots of ripples, etc. Probably an accident at one time. This panel will be difficult to fix and will require repainting.

Different view of left rear quarter panel. Lots of ripples, etc. Dimple in low spot. Crease over fuel door. Fuel door isn't flat. It also needs new rubber bumpers installed to sit properly. I have new ones on hand. Probably an accident at one time. This panel will be difficult to fix and will require repainting.

The famous "orange peel" ! This I will color sand out and buff to luster.

More famous "orange peel" ! Defect in paint. I can fix these.

Still more orange peel. There are other defects in paint if you look closely. I think I can save this panel with color sand and buff.

The front edge of boot (trunk) lid. There are some dents here. Their are bubbles along the edge of gap. The paint is going to peel. I'll have to fix this too.

Paint defects.

Still more defects. See how many you can find. "Where's Waldo?" Notice on edge of aluminum, they didn't tape right and caused bubbles where there was a leak under the tape.

More paint defects. This door handle polished up nicely! (See pic of other one above) Painted gaskets again.

Yes that's a BIG drip just below body line! I'll try to sand and buff it out. If you look above the body line, you'll see where I did a "test" sand and buff to see if paint might be saved. It came out with a nice luster and there's no wax on it yet. I might clear-coat entire car when done with body work. So I'm skipping the wax for now.

Here you can notice the light and dark vertical areas; these are waves in the paint, not the body underneath. (Thank God!) I think I can sand and buff them out. Thankfully that's because it crosses over the gap line. Never paint horizontal surfaces with vertical sweeps. The waves shouldn't be sanding errors, those probably wouldn't be across panel lines. With these Maaco guys who knows?

The seat bright work scratched deeply. From seat belts, dogs and/or people entering back seat. I hope I can save these. It's worse on driver's side.

Seat bright work. Very Bad!

Seat bright work. If I can buff these (they may be chrome), it will be a lot of hours. Cross your fingers I can sand and buff these. Replacements will cost 1K+ for both sides!!! Ouch!

MTPapaDan

Re: 67 Ford Galaxie 500 19 Aug

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:20 am

I took pictures of the vinyl tears before and after I fixed them .

This is a small hole in the driver's seat, before.

And after. It is almost invisible. Flash to light it up.

A little dark, but the repair is there. Can you find it?

This is the entry to the back seat. People entering and exiting (probably snagging the edge) caused this damage.

A little dark, but it's repaired.

This is a tear I the door panel. I have already applied the glue to hold vinyl down. Next I put a mixed red and blue (maroon) vinyl and applied to damage. Then I took a "grain relief" paper and used a hot, flat, metal tip to iron on the grain.

There was a tear in the door panel. Key word was. I bet you can't find it.

Anyways, I fixed 11 different damaged areas throughout the interior. They all look very good considering I'd never used the product or technique before.
Last edited by MTPapaDan on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:34 am

I took pictures of the rest of the exterior paint and bright work.

Driver's side headlight "bucket". It is chrome and it is really not up to par. I will have to have it replated.

Ditto for the passenger's side bucket. You can see the rust on the front grill.

A couple of shots of the front grille. There are at least a thousand points of damage. Some are small. Some are large. A project I am avoiding like the plague! I figure 50 hours minimum. :cry:

Under the hood needs cleaned up and painted. You can see line where cheapo paint job stopped. :evil:

MTPapaDan

Re: 67 Ford Galaxie 500 19 Aug Engine bay

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:39 am

OK, Mark asked to see the engine. Obviously not restored. The previous owner got the air cleaner off a wrecked 1964 Ford Fairlane "Thunderbolt" drag car. The cheapo ducts are clothes dryer vent tubes. It's supposed to give a cold "ram air effect" to the carb. On the Thunderbolt the tubes went to the inside (It had side by side lights) headlight bucket with the light removed. Must have worked, as the Thunderbolts dominated the 64 and 65 Super Stock experimental division. I think I want the engine bay to be "stock" looking with the correct hoses, clamps, air cleaner, Ford "Motorsport" valve covers, drive belts, and all the factory "correct" decals. The wiring needs to be "cleaned up". It currently goes Willy-Nilly all over the place. I want to run it in the proper wiring looms and brackets.

Front view.

Passenger's side.

Driver's side.

MTPapaDan

Re: 67 Ford Galaxie 500 19 Aug Roof

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:55 am

A view of the restored vinyl top.
Last edited by MTPapaDan on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:58 am

This is the passenger's side of cowl area. The other side looked like this before I repaired it .