The future of this forum....

What is this forum about and welcome thread
YNWaN
Site Admin

The future of this forum....

Post by YNWaN »

I've been thinking about this for some time but:

First a little history. When we (Andrew and I) formed AudioFlat we purchased a domain and as part of that came some forum software and web space. A year or so later Andrew had created all the website and, as he was in the thick of it, suggested we create a forum - basically because we could. I was self employed at the time and was posting a lot on hi-fi forums like pfm (pink fish media). Anyway, Andrew created the forum and now it required some content. After a bit of a lull I started to use it rather like a personal blog where I documented much of what I was doing in the world of hi-fi. Not everything I was involved in could be published publicly but much of it could. Anyway, a few years on and I had written loads of content. In fact I found it quite liberating to write this form of diary.

Anyway, times change and now I work full time again and have very much less time to report properly on my activities. In addition, the audio work I am involved in is increasingly less 'personal hobbyist' in nature and more commercial based - as such I'm not really in a position to discuss it publically.

So, looking to the future, personally I wouldn't like to lose all my 'diary' entries so it seems likely the forum will morph into a true blog. However, this isn't imminent as the forum isn't very expensive and Andrew (very kindly) supports it.

I suppose all this is a sort of apology for not posting very much recently. I've got a little something in the pipework (and a much larger something).....
Mark

flatpopely
Site Admin

Re: The future of this forum....

Post by flatpopely »

Mark.

I'm happy to keep the hosting up as long as you want, its no issue.

Andrew.

P.S. I should post here more too!
Flat Earth rocks with PJC!

LP12/Ittok LVII/Tranquility/RubiKon/ASAKA/RadiKal
Topping D10 - Soundblaster X-Fi HD
SONY CDP 338ESD
SONY TC-K444esII
JVC AX-Z1010TN
Linn SARA (YNWAN bespoke build)

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

You're busy running your business mate, I understand. I have time to write quick comments but finding time to write any real content is very difficult these days.

Regarding the forum hosting, many thanks my friend (and a happy Christmas of course :)).
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

In the next few weeks it seems likely that I will be taking over the running of the forum as Andrew just has too many commitments. In addition, I am considering changing it to a membership only format where only registered members can access the content (or read the forum). In time it is likely that the majority of the content will be relocated to a personal blog - though there is no timescale set for this.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

I find myself tiring rather of the whole forum ‘thing’. Not particularly this forum, but forums in general. I guess it’s partly that I don’t feel I have anything much to contribute - I’m not interested in any advice and I tire of dolling out the same responses to the same range of questions. As a result I am inclined to fold the forum and export my content to a blog. I’ll have a word with Andrew.
Mark

karma67

Post by karma67 »

yeah i know what you mean,i myself am getting tired of forums in general.
there is however some very valuable info on here regarding ns1000's.it would be a shame to loose access to that.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Perhaps; though as I wrote most of it (the content that is, quite possibly not the valuable element though) I’m not very convinced.
Mark

karma67

Post by karma67 »

i mean as a reference for other people who would like to mod theirs. me included.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

OK, well I think that, when it come round, I won’t pay out for the continuation of the forum and I don’t think I can be arsed to pay out for some blog space either so I will probably just archive my posts/threads on my computer. Ever since I returned to work full time I have struggled to write any proper content and my personal projects have dwindled to near nothing. What I really need to do is more reportage, commenting on developments, trends, product releases, magazine articles etc. However, I can’t see myself having sufficient time and, if I’m really honest with myself, I’m just not that interested in doing so - which is why I don’t see a blog working - I think it would be a very static thing. I appreciate some may like some of the info here to remain as some form of ‘reference’ but it isn’t free to do so (it’s not that expensive either).
Mark

flatpopely
Site Admin

Post by flatpopely »

We’ve got another 2 years hosting so enjoy.
Flat Earth rocks with PJC!

LP12/Ittok LVII/Tranquility/RubiKon/ASAKA/RadiKal
Topping D10 - Soundblaster X-Fi HD
SONY CDP 338ESD
SONY TC-K444esII
JVC AX-Z1010TN
Linn SARA (YNWAN bespoke build)