Welcome - Say hello in this thread.

What is this forum about and welcome thread
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Welcome - Say hello in this thread.

Post by YNWaN »

Oh, well I can promise you it’s in another league, and I do mean entirely different, to your P75. The big problems with the Paradise are the size of it (I don’t see that as a problem but some do) and the scarcity of circuit boards for it.
Mark

hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

I can always make space for worthy equipment! And since I'm primarily a headphone listener (tiny house, no suitable listening room, a partner who prefers things quiet) there are few other boxes to compete with...

Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

How very rude of me, completely failed to introduce myself, apologies, sadly not-untypical behaviour :cry:

I am a Salisbury lad, after A levels spent a year out before an Electronics degree working for Naim in production (programming and running the robot PCB component stuffer, hand assembling what couldn't be auto populated, running the wave soldering machine, hand soldering what couldn't be wave soldered, inspecting PCBs, running automated PCB testing, that sort of thing). I built myself (or collegues built for me!) an Olive 72/Hicap/250 SBLs system and a LP12 (bought trade by Naim Sales for me) with an ARO and a K5 cartridge. I later added a NAT02 when working in summer hols to keep me alive through University.

This has morphed over the next decades into ... the same system ... well if it ain't broke. I service the Naim stuff myself and fix the odd oops with the kind assistance of MJS of WitchHat who I was lucky enough to know at Naim.

More recently I fitted RSL MagicPower cards in the 72, a TPR4 in the Hicap, got a NAXO and a second Hicap and a second 250 and went active.
I follow the Avondale wiring principle since running power and signal unscreened from one another in a SNAIC is daft ;) and now use Flashback cables.

The LP12, like Trigger's broom, looks nothing like the original, was a fluted non-cross braced, original bearing, Valhalla, with warped (but free!) armboard, no lift, no lid, floppy fibreboard base. Now black ash cross braced, Cirkus, Mose Hercules II, flat armboard, AROmatic with lid and hard base. Oh at some point I decided I preferred the bass with a Ringmat. Since my felt original had aged no idea whether I would versus a new felt, haven't bothered to revisit that. I get my LP12 serviced with my local Naim dealer Gulliford in Exeter - before the Linn dealer cull they were of course also a Linn dealer. Cartridge changed to a Ortofon MC25E and now a DV20X2L.

Current DIY project is stuffing ALWSRs into the NAXO and upping the Hicap to 28V to run the ALWSRs. Slow progress as I am slow. But I am hopeful for SNAXO performance or better from my modified NAXO. I like mods to be reversible though so I back it all out if I ever sell.

Real life is a family, dog, cat, chickens in a North Devon hill village, work is in Exeter (when not working from home or in lockdown) as a software engineer, with rare trips to Santa Clara and one day Shanghai where the factory is, though I keep putting that off.

Musically I am mostly post punk, Britpop, and Grunge I suppose. Sure I listen to new stuff that sounds like it could have been made back then and anything else that takes my fancy but that is probably a fair reflection of my limited taste. When traviling to work I listen to 6 music but lockdown is impacting my listening since a) I am in lockdown and b) I have to share my house with my family and respect that they don't care for my music in the same way their Spotify play list of musical delights can sometimes annoy the hell out of me - there is only so much cheese I can take in a day.

Right, well, I think I set the welcome post thing right, I will stop now before I bore you with long stories of when I was doing whatever whenever ...

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Wow, great ‘introduction’ post :). I can closely relate to a lot of what you have written - particularly to the ‘if it ain’t broke’ sentiment though and I’ve never seen the point (or had the desire to) in dumping my system and starting from scratch.

I like the Ringmat too and it’s design was a strong influence on my own mat. I’ve still got one in my collection of record mats.
Mark

Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

Thanks, well having failed to do this first, I felt a decent stab was requried :lol:

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

hifiaf wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:56 am
Thanks, Mark!

While you've all been sleeping in the UK, I've been reading thousands of posts about the Paradise phono stage. I knew nothing about it before tonight, and feel that I now know almost everything about it. I was excited to see some Hammond transformers in there, Made in Canada, for that is my last name, and that is where I too was made...
Welcome! Mr. Adam Made in Canada. I've liked Transformers since I was a kid. Didn't know they were made by Hammond though. Must be Hasbro's parent company. :roll:

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Hasbro Transformers didn’t even exist when I was a kid as I recall - I think I was well into my teens by the time that franchise was invented.

Ah yes, Google tells me the toy line was created in 1984.
Mark

hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

I distinctly recall an advertisement for Transformers-themed Hanes underwear in which a kid (around my age at the time... 4 or 5) puts them on and is... transformed into a Transformer. I took this ad literally and campaigned loudly for a pair. Eventually my mother caved and bought me some. Naturally, I was quite disappointed, and that turned me completely off Transformers.

Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

For me it was Superman, I recall making my own Superman belt, running around on a parquet floor, slipping hitting my head, perhaps knocking myself out for a bit, then being bundled on to the school bus and finding the Superman belt still flapping around my ankles ... ah those were the days.