Welcome - Say hello in this thread.

What is this forum about and welcome thread
davidismynaim

hello from Hertfordshire...

Post by davidismynaim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi all
I am another middle aged hifi fanatic, have been since I was a kid. Now use Mitchell gyro with tabritz arm and a shure vst with jico stylus. Into Cambridge audio modified by arkless. Into an ATC SIA2 150 into beautiful oak Yamaha NS1000M Speakers. For digital I use squeeze box into mdac. I am on the wait list for a fdac one of these days. currently trying to improve the stands for the speakers so thought I would join this forum as l see there are a couple of experts! it's nice to be on a different forum to Pfm.

Looking forward to some interesting discussion.

Regards David

YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Welcome - Say hello in this thread.

Post by YNWaN » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:26 pm

A very warm welcome to you David :). Did you have your NS-1000Ms veneered in the oak? Could you post a picture of them please (and any other bits)?
Mark

davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:51 pm

I got them veneered by Colin, the same guy who did Simon's I think. here are the some pics

here is one when I was trying out an old dbx 4 channel amp...and selling my naim gear

close up of dbx, love the old style vu meters

old naim rig with sbls

And the last setup driving the NS1000ms

davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:59 pm

my question for the ns1000m aficionados, the stands are not too good. I am currently replacing the thin mdf tops with solid chopping block tops (over 1.5" thick and very solid) the 3 pillars are soft wood 95mmx65mm, thinking 80x40mm 3mm box section mild steel filled with shot and clamping top to bottom with a threaded 10mm bar bolted top to bottom might be a better structure? thoughts?

Also what to interface speaker with top plate. anyone got any views of something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CM-fine-ceram ... 1445800545

or should I bite the bullet and drilling into the base of the speakers and bolt them down onto the stand? :o

welcome thoughts, thanks

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:17 am

Mark will be along shortly to show you his handmade stands, very nice, very heavy and MASSIVE...

I love what you've done with the Naim boxes in the middle.
One more Paradise left to complete.

davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:01 am

Hi Simon
had to get creative when I went active as I ran out of space on the isoblue. What stands do you use now?

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Well these are the stands I built for mine:

They are thick wall steel and the uprights are filled with lead shot - intentionally they have no top or bottom plates. In the picture they show top spikes but I have since moved to a different top mount method - essentially a kind of rigid ball and cup arrangement.

By having different lengths of Delrin puck it allows the speaker to slightly tilt back by a couple of degrees and this helps to time align the drivers (the ball bearings are 12mm stainless steel but I keep meaning to try silicone nitride or Delrrin).

I wasn't happy with the M6 spikes generally sold for floor coupling so made some very much larger ones (M16 I seem to remember).

Your proposed mods sound excellent to me :).
Mark

davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:19 am

Mark

Your stands are amazing. But way beyond my metalwork skills and tooling.

Do you mind me asking way you didn't cant the stands back by adjusting the spikes rather than variable height ball bearing sockets ?

Also do you reckon box section filled with shot is preferable to solid bar? I could get my hands on some 63mm solid aluminum bar. So wondering which route might be acoustically preferable.

I would value your and other thoughts.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:09 am

Hi David,

Sorry if my responses are a bit short - at the moment I'm away visiting family and the interconnect connection is a bit flaky :(.

Two reasons for the way I chose to tilt the speakers back. 1/ although I made the floor spikes with a lot of thread I don't like too much of it to be exposed as it reduces rigidity; the same applies to the top spikes. 2/ I prefer the security of connection that my chosen solution provides. The contact are is clearly defined irrespective of the angle chosen and I like the slight mechanical diode effect of the Delrin and ball bearing construction between the speaker and stand. I also made more traditional top spikes and preferred the Delrin/ball solution.

I specifically wanted there to be some mass in the stands hence the use of lead shot filled steel (I don't have the gear to weld aluminium). Solid aluminium uprights should work well though and I see no reason why you shouldn't use them (though I also like your other proposed construction).

Original top spikes:

Floor spikes (these are quite a bit bigger than the photo may suggest - 16mm in diameter):

To be honest, making my stands was a massive pain the ass.
Mark

davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:19 pm

Mark,
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I think I've decided on 3" aluminum tube .25" thick with m16 threaded bar bolted top and bottom filled with lead hot. Should be fairly massive and solid. Would you consider a commission on the ball bearing angled arrangement. As I really like the sound of that as I can then true up the stand knowing the angle is given by this method. My m8 spikes can be shortened too which would be a good thing. Given my Interface is wood on wood, I would need to either cup the speaker stand top plinth or have a further Delran cup plate? Any thoughts and would you be up for such a commission?