Welcome - Say hello in this thread.

What is this forum about and welcome thread
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Welcome - Say hello in this thread.

Post by YNWaN » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:17 pm

I think I probably need to seperate out most of the recent 'stand' related posts to another thread as they don't really have anything to do with the welcome thread as such. I only mention this so you aren't surprised if a bunch of stuff looks like it has disappeared - it won't have been deleted, just moved :D.

I could potentially make the Delrin pucks, time is going to be an issue for me though as I start a new job soon and free time will be at a premium (if any exists at all). In addition, I don't think I have sufficient Delrin so will have to investigate. The method I use doesn't really involve cups as such - I will try to explain. An 11mm hole exists in the top of each stand upright (this happens to be threaded so it can take the option of a threaded spike but otherwise isn't relevant). A 12mm ball bearing sits in this hole. The hole is large enough that the ball bearing is secure but too small to let the ball bearing fall through. The Delrin puck also has an 11mm hole drilled through it and this sits onto the ball bearing. Effectively this creates a ball joint although no cup shapes are used. So each Delrin puck is really just a short length of turned Delrin bar with an 11mm hole going through it. One face has a 45 degree chamfer on it so there are no clearance issues.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:36 pm

The easiest thing for you would be to just drill 11mm holes in the top plate of your stands - though I'll have to check my dimensions when I am at home (I'm away visiting family at the moment) - I'm pretty sure I used a 12mm ball bearing though.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:41 pm

Well I've had a look at the cost of Delrin and it's less than I remembered. Give me a PM if you are serious and I'll work out a cost :).
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:40 pm

Please see my entries on HiFi - Pg 26 of the "refurbishing of my NS-1000 speakers" thread.

The rod and Delrin can be bought to size. I never thought about using a tensioning connector through the original base for added rigidity. Great idea!

Regards,
Dan

stelya

Post by stelya » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi , Im Mark love music, not equipment...well a little :)
Photog and bball player
Linn Sara + ML 23.5 + ak4396DDAC+ AR pre

hi guys

flatpopely
Site Admin

Post by flatpopely » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:45 pm

Welcome!

You have Linn SARAs.......super!
Flat Earth rocks with PJC!
(Porcupine Tree are the new...'insert fav prog band here')
LP12/Ittok LVII/Tranquility/RubiKon/ASAKA/RadiKal
Soundblaster X-Fi HD
SONY CDP 338ESD
SONY TC K570
JVC AX-Z1010TN
Linn SARA (YNWAN bespoke build)

karma mechanic

Post by karma mechanic » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Just joined so hello everyone...

I've been mucking about with hifi for donkeys years and I still prefer home-brewed stuff. The first proper turntable I got was immediately modified (a Thorens TD160 and Mission 774/Dynavector Ruby Karat - still got it stashed away somewhere). Some time in the early 80's I got some Yamaha NS1000M's. I've still got those, and I was musing what's involved in refurbing them, which led me to this forum... I'm still digesting the wealth of info here about those but I'll probably have some questions soon.

Ok, first question :)

I see that the esteemed YNWaN has provided a link to a PDF file for cutting the neoprene gaskets for the NS1000M. However, the downloaded version of that gives either an error in Adobe Reader or a featureless black square in Foxit Reader. Not sure if that's a problem with the file or the PDF readers - can someone check?

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Hiya and welcome aboard :). I've had problems before with the PDF you mention and will look at it again (but probably not before next week I'm afraid).

My first deck was also a TD160 and I also cannibalised it to build my first turntable :). The only bits I kept were the motor, main bearing and platter. I cast a plinth from concrete. It had three embedded towers from which the carbon fibre chassis hung. In retrospect it was really pretty advanced considering this was over thirty years ago :). I've not used a commercially available turntable since - DIY is the way to go.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:00 pm

I've just checked and you are quite right, for whatever reason the PDF doesn't work. I think it may be a hosting problem but it could also be a resolution issue - I'll look into it.
Mark

karma mechanic

Post by karma mechanic » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks Mark.

30 years ago was a good time for that sort of stuff - that's about when I converted my Yams to fully-active. A pair of mono Quantum 205D power amps plus two mosfet amp modules for each side. It was fantastic until a nearby lightning strike killed one of the active crossover boards and two of the amp modules so now the (recapped) 205D's drive them through the original crossovers again.