Welcome - Say hello in this thread.

What is this forum about and welcome thread
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Welcome - Say hello in this thread.

Post by YNWaN » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:03 pm

Let's see some pictures of those Yammies then and associated system (please) :). I think if I was going to go fully active, instead of just in the bass, I would probably use Mini DSP as the crossover solution.

Are you thinking of upgrading the passive corssovers?
Mark

karma mechanic

Post by karma mechanic » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:57 pm

The active system is long gone.

The way I did it was a little odd - the crossover board and power supply was mounted internally, in place of the original crossover block. A single power lead and signal lead from the pre-amp were fed into the back, and internally this was split into the low-level woofer, mid and tweeter low-level feeds. The woofer signal was then passed back out of the back to feed the mono power amp, which in turn passed the high-level signal back to terminals on the back of the speaker and thence directly to the woofer. The mosfet amp modules were mounted on the back plate externally to feed the mid and tweeter. The crossover was designed to give some extension and shaping of the bass response.

A bit Heath-Robinson, but it worked well. (Oh, there were signal level pots on the back too, to allow balancing). The switch-on thump from the crossover board was quite loud, eventually I resorted to relays to get round that. And one of the mosfet modules had a rather high offset voltage that eventually cooked a midrange voice coil - I drove up to Yamaha and they sold me a new one for £150... times have probably changed.

At the moment I'm trying to make the Yamahas the front left-right speakers in an AV system, but they are currently too ugly to sit either side of the room (I have that on good authority). I'm also told that even if they were less ugly they are too big. Currently they do form the mains of the AV system, but they are hidden from view in a less-than-optimal-but-surprisingly-effective fashion which I'll try to depict when I take some pictures. I've had them on Linn Sara stands in the past.

The rest of it is a Yamaha AV amp running the Mordaunt-Short centre and surround speakers, the amp pre-outs are used to feed the original Quantum 205D's for the NS1000M's, and a BK XXLS400 sub. Music is all FLAC from a Squeezebox.

More later.

karma mechanic

Post by karma mechanic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:39 am

This is the room at the moment, as seen from the listening position. You'll see that the projector screen covers the aperture to the conservatory with the centre speaker just above it.

But where are the Yamahas?

Upstairs. I know that is crazy, but the sloping ceiling gives a good 'mirror' to fold the sound back. There is actually a fairly good image even without the centre speaker in play.

Timing adjustments on the amp allow everything to be aligned such that the sound stage is just beyond the screen, and that works really well for films. Obviously this isn't playing to the strengths of the Yamahas though, and I'd like to move the big cabinet from the left of the screen to the rear of the room, and then put the Yamahas on (or very close to) the wall on either side of the screen area. In conjunction with the centre speaker that should give a perfect location for dialogue as well.

So yes, it is crazy stuff but with the right room eq and timings it works far better than I expected at the moment. Just need to make the big 'ol black boxes nicer to put each side of the screen...

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:24 pm

That's a very smart set up and a lovely large open space :).
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Oh, I've just seen where the Yamahas are!!!
Mark

karma mechanic

Post by karma mechanic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:07 pm

YNWaN wrote:Oh, I've just seen where the Yamahas are!!!
:shock: ;)

As of this afternoon they are either side of the screen, against the wall. Unfortunately that leaves nowhere to put the cabinet, so it was temporarily in front of the screen. The cabinet has several zillion cables at the back, and they run behind the skirting on the left side.

More work required to get where I'm going with this.

However - the Yamahas sound absolutely fantastic against that end wall so it is going to be worth it.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:58 pm

karma mechanic wrote:I see that the esteemed YNWaN has provided a link to a PDF file for cutting the neoprene gaskets for the NS1000M. However, the downloaded version of that gives either an error in Adobe Reader or a featureless black square in Foxit Reader. Not sure if that's a problem with the file or the PDF readers - can someone check?
Not sure about the esteemed bit but you are quite right that the PDF link doesn't work any more (still not sure why). After much messing about with Mediafire, try this:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/r0vv3ns8p ... et_Set.pdf

Fingers crossed :).
Mark

karma mechanic

Post by karma mechanic » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks - that works now.

(Esteemed is a title earned by the work you'd put in to the NS1000M refurb - no doubt about it!)

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Well that's very kind - I'm glad the file is now working (very glad in fact). I think if memory serves correct it's intended to be printed on A2.
Mark

Zig

Post by Zig » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Who am I?

Well I am the sort of guy who doesn’t know how many men were involved in the Mercury Space Mission.

This is actually quite essential about who I am.

In order to register on this forum I was asked this very question. And I did not know the answer. (Ok - who does?)
Alright, I am not a spam bot - I am a motivated new user of this small (but interesting forum). So Google is my friend.

The answer was six. But then on another site there was a picture of seven astronauts. It is after all the internet where all things are loosely connected and no answer is completely correct. Hasn't the Audioflat Bot read the wonderful article "I Pencil", that explains that no one person can make a pencil and six or 7 astronauts do not a Space Mission make? The real answer is probably nearer 135,334. And that is why I didn't score very well on the famous 11+.

I wrote 7 on the place provided.

Wrong answer.

I wrote 6 on the place provided.

Wrong answer.

Back to Google.

WTF?

Back to the registration page. Oh!

Spell your answer.

I spelled one answer. Wrong. I spelled my other answer. Right.

Now I am a member and I am ready to write.

Oh! But.

I have to wait to be “vetted” by a site administrator…….

See - this is who I am….

Somebody who hates algorithms. Somebody who hates to be administrated. But somebody who is willing to get things done. So I am writing this offline waiting to get online….

Now - I am not complaining (although I would understand it, if I was perceived as such). I am just trying to illustrate who I am…..

So why do I want to participate in this rather small forum?

There are probably several answers. I think I want to say “Thank you” for the superlative NS 1000 threads and the good music suggestions….. And I think the site needs new blood. But what this site also needs is a new Yamaha NS 1000 thread.

(It probably doesn’t - but one more can’t hurt).

See (og Hear) - I am waiting (that word again) for delivery of a refurbished set from Japan. Three weeks after I bought them - they were still in Tokyo. March and April in Japan is when everyone moves house (or chairs) and they have packing firms who (you guessed it) pack. It took two weeks before the packers arrived because they were very busy. One week whilst the shipping agent thought about the cheapest way of transporting the goods (to maximise his profits not minimise my expenses).. And then they arrive. But it is Easter so everything is closed. But Tuesday after Easter everything should be back to normal. No (or Yes) because when do you think the customs people start work on Tuesday? That’s right - Three o’clock in the afternoon. So no loudspeakers for me today.

Oh!

I have just received an email confirming that they have arrived in Denmark. Actually they arrived three days ago.

And so it goes.

I hate algorithms and I hate complications. But I have a mind that makes (and receives) things complicated.

I have no technical abilities - so I have to buy expensive (and sell cheap).

I have noticed that in HiFi A can be better than B. B can be better than C. But C is better than A. And tomorrow - well almost anything is possible.

I have “decided” that everything I have read (and this includes well everything) is probably wrong but I have a terrible tendency to believe the written word. And I love reading.

But I Know Nuthing.

This is who I am.

Expect More.....

Philosophical pocket wool....

Blue Note Jazz

And pictures if and when I work out how to post pictures.

Zig

(Oh!
And I was banned for life from a Danish site. I do rather take this as a commendation - and the site has withered since......)

And this picture says it more than ....(OK AudioFlat Bot how many words have I written?)....all the words I have written.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.