'Number9' TT AC motor controller web site finally up

Hi-Fi discussion
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: 'Number9' TT AC motor controller web site finally up

Postby YNWaN » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks for that Steve.

I must say this is an astonishingly throughly thought through design, very exciting! It's certainly the most sophisticated controller I have ever encountered.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Postby YNWaN » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:38 pm

In Essence this #9 controller is a more elaborate version of the one I use. Mine also allows the speed to be adjusted in very fine increments. Each motor phase can also be very finely tuned and the output voltage can also be adjusted. However, mine does not have the level of flexibility the #9 has, it doesn't have a display and needs to be connected, via USB, to a computer to make adjustments. Also, it can't run two motors (though that's not something I actually want to do) and nor can it save seoerate adjustment patterns for 33.3 and 45. There is also no option for a tachometer on mine (though I'm not sure how important that is ultimately). Mine is more like the cheaper #9 that has not yet been released (of course mine is also in a case of my choice and design).

Overall I would expect this power supply to make a significant difference - mine did.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Postby YNWaN » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Actually, I've just looked at the specs for the cheaper #9 controller and even that seems pretty sophisticated!
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Postby YNWaN » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:01 pm

I found this about the controller I use (written by my friend Si):

It uses an Atmega168a-pu 8 bit risk microcontroller with a 10 bit a-d. This handles the sinewave generation and manages the control interface which is linked via usb. It gives a very clean sinewave which is amplified by two chip amps so it's effectively a dual mono, 30 watt power amp. Phase is adjustable in 0.1 degree steps and frequency in 0.01 hz increments.

So it looks like the #9 also has greater bit resolution.
Mark

steve#9

Postby steve#9 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:25 pm

YNWaN wrote:Actually, I've just looked at the specs for the cheaper #9 controller and even that seems pretty sophisticated!

http://9tci.com/freq/

The Control Freq uses the same 4phase Wave Engine board as the TCI. CF is programmed via USB terminal interface. CF does not interchangable output modules. 3ppm Strobe calibration only. I may release it as a kit, still deciding!

YNWaN
Site Admin

Postby YNWaN » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Personally I would prefer it as a kit.
Mark

sq225917

Postby sq225917 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:45 pm

It sounds very good Steve, all the functions of Meldano's controller but with greater maths precision, greater Ac output voltage range, the addition of tacho control and a screen.

I currently run a Mober and it's adequate, certainly no more speed accurate than meldano's controller and very viscous oil was.

I don't imagine the market for $2000 plus import tax turntable PSUS is all that big. Any thoughts about offering it as a kit? no point shipping big ass boxes around the world....

steve#9

Postby steve#9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:22 am

sq225917 wrote:I don't imagine the market for $2000 plus import tax turntable PSUS is all that big. Any thoughts about offering it as a kit? no point shipping big ass boxes around the world....

I never intended for this thing to be a large scale operation. I was forced to shut down my business a few years ago due to a stroke. Since then I've slowly recovered my mobility and needed something to do. The TCI started off as a complete turntable build from scratch. I ran one of Australias top hifi shops for many decades and thought I knew "a thing or two" about turntables. I learnt more in the two years of that project about turntables than I learned in the previous three decades. What is obstensively a really simple device soon becomes a delightfully challenging 4D puzzle, then you reach the "why am I doing this to myself?" moment. The moment of realisation that you have choked two years and thirty grand and you still can't play a record without finding faults. Fools errand, my time would been better spent lying in a warm bubble path tearing up hundred dollar bills.

The TCI technology, I firmly believe has the potential to be a ground breaker. I have developed the electronics in a very modular format both in terms of hardware and code structure, my main interest is in the OEM market and I'm currently talking to some manufacturers around the globe.

While you're probably right about the size of the market, but I figure there's more than enough mediocre product out there without me adding to it further.

Steve

Return to “Hi-Fi”