removing l-pads ns1000's

Hi-Fi discussion
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: removing l-pads ns1000's

Post by YNWaN »

Si’s are internal and I think Dan’s are too - but perhaps this is good motivation for them to be externalised :).
Mark
reffc

Post by reffc »

YNWaN wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm Si’s are internal and I think Dan’s are too - but perhaps this is good motivation for them to be externalised :).
Yes, indeed! :lol:

It's just a matter of locating the existing bass inductor on the standard boards, desoldering, soldering fly leads to connect the connection points to the inductor which can be firmly fixed to the base of he speakers in that case. Not getting the wrong one would be quite helpful :shock:
sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

Mines stuffed with massive poly caps
Paradise phonostage, benz lp, kuzma stabi s 12
Bpbp, nuerochrome mod86p bridged monos
Yamaha ns100m, quarter cut Oak veneer, raal 140-15d ribbons
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

reffc wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:40 pm
YNWaN wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm Si’s are internal and I think Dan’s are too - but perhaps this is good motivation for them to be externalised :).
Yes, indeed! :lol:

It's just a matter of locating the existing bass inductor on the standard boards, desoldering, soldering fly leads to connect the connection points to the inductor which can be firmly fixed to the base of he speakers in that case. Not getting the wrong one would be quite helpful :shock:
Yes, good idea, just relocate it on flying leads to the base of the cabinet.
Mark
MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

OK Paul you can come and do mine for me. :o :lol: No. I have 2 pairs. 1 is active for the woofer. I am going to go external with only separate mids and highs. Which I believe is what Mark wishes he had done? The other has modified internal crossovers. I replaced all the caps. Now I'm doing the coils. I can't afford building 2 externals so I will use current board locations if possible. If not, i will mount them to the bottom of cabinet separated as far as possible. Probably use copper as suggested. Oh, look! I already have a tracking number. :D
MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

Thought??? Can I leave the original inductor on board or should I remove it?
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Yeah, I don’t see why you shouldn’t leave it in place (disconnected obviously :)). In fact, having done it myself, removing the inductors is a right pain in the bum as they are firmly glued into moulded plastic pockets.
Mark
reffc

Post by reffc »

Yes, just leave them in place as they'll do no harm...
karma67

Post by karma67 »

sweet as! mine are on their way :)
reffc

Post by reffc »

All are now booked with couriers for pick-up today. Paperwork done and you should all by now have received notification. Chris's were interesting as the courier system insisted that the Vale of Glamorgan was in Gloucestershire! (Don't worry Chris as I've manually altered the address ;) ).

They're all well packed with min double wall of card with corrugated card wrapping around inductors. I weighed them and each one tipped the scales at 1024grammes (+/- a bit). Measurements are as previously advised.

You all (bar Dan) ought to receive them tomorrow as long as courier deliveries are not delayed due to ongoing pandemic knock on effects on their service. It's been an interesting process as the design, prototype, testing revision and tweaking, new labels and final run ended up taking up quite a bit of time so I hope this will be worth it.

Final specs (averaged across batch) are:

DCR @ 5mH = 0.13 Ohms average (within target 0.15R)
Tolerance worst case = 2%
Average = 1%
Best = 0.1%
Hysteresis = Zero
Saturation tested at 6 Amps = Negligible (rating is a whopping 6A). Saturation at max drive to NS1000 is non existent.
Coupling field approx 50mm beyond which it's minimal (negligible)