Mober optical tacho DC motor control

Hi-Fi discussion
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Mober optical tacho DC motor control

Post by YNWaN »

Okay, yeah, have just read those posts. Unfortunately Edmund is not doing himself any favours there because he clearly, and sorry to be blunt, doesn’t have the slightest idea what he’s talking about and makes a number of fundamental errors with regard to the theory and the reality. Of course that doesn’t mean the Mober doesn’t work - he clearly didn’t design it himself.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

I’ll write about what I think are the issues and what Edmund is incorrect on in a bit - just on the way out.
Mark

sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

Having spoken to him at length about the fuzzy logic applied in the motor and the adjustment bounds built into the controller I'd say he knows exactly what hes doing. The Mober uses a rolling average of measured intervals and adjusts drive voltage according. The derived measurement interval for the calculations is as he says 10ms, the period over which correction is applied is longer than minimal interval used for the internal maths.

I can clearly see the frequency of the digital correction signal at 100hz on my scope.

He perfectly understands the lag involved due to belt compliance and acceleration/ deceleration of the platter. Hes just not going Into that detail on the wam.

And yes he did contract out the digital aspect of the circuit design.
One more Paradise left to complete.

al2002

Post by al2002 »

Nobeone wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 am
Looks like Edmund is poking at a hornets nest over on the Wam version of the Linn forum, however he does explain a bit about the Mober DC speed control, this thread appears to be a collection of stuff he has posted on there https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/ ... linn-lp12/
It appears that Mober joined the thread after a US based Linn dealer’s uncomplimentary post. The dealer In question is clearly not tech savvy so it’s not clear why he wrote what he did. Ignorance, trying to protect a dwindling revenue stream, or ...? IME any mention of non-Linn parts on theat forum usually provokes strong reactions.

Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

al2002 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:19 am
It appears that Mober joined the thread after a US based Linn dealer’s uncomplimentary post. The dealer In question is clearly not tech savvy so it’s not clear why he wrote what he did. Ignorance, trying to protect a dwindling revenue stream., or ...? IME any mention of non-Linn parts on the forum usually provokes strong reactions.
I didn't mean to suggest Edmund was looking for trouble just, as you say, anything other than a conformist view that Linn are perfect and all third party products kill the tune will meet a good deal of resistance. Good luck to him. He is brave, confident in his products, or slightly foolish for taking them on in their own back yard :D

al2002

Post by al2002 »

Deleted. Duplicate post.
Last edited by al2002 on Sat May 23, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

al2002

Post by al2002 »

Nobeone wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:25 am

I didn't mean to suggest Edmund was looking for trouble just, as you say, anything other than a conformist view that Linn are perfect and all third party products kill the tune will meet a good deal of resistance. Good luck to him. He is brave, confident in his products, or slightly foolish for taking them on in their own back yard :D
Nobeone, no worries, I did not read your post that way.

Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

Isn't it nice to be on a forum where people try to understand one another rather than try to take offence! :D

al2002

Post by al2002 »

Nobeone wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:13 am
Isn't it nice to be on a forum where people try to understand one another rather than try to take offence! :D
Alpha audiophiles - particularly those of the subjective persuasion - love to throw rocks. :shock:

sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

Commercial interests isnt it. One guy cant sell product A so bags on it, designer A comes on to defend his product but English isnt his first language. Tough gig.
One more Paradise left to complete.