Adam's Paradise

Hi-Fi discussion
hifiaf

Re: Adam's Paradise

Post by hifiaf »

Yep, just talked to a more knowledgeable person at the art store who suggested artist’s acrylic, progressively thinning it until it goes through without running. Warm butter consistency is what you’re looking for apparently. Off for a run then more experimenting!
sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

Its usually done with pure pigment and quite a bit of opaque acrylic thickening medium on paper stock and acrylic paint with a little thickening medium on none porous surfaces.

Moisturiser consistency, Nivea face cream.
One more Paradise left to complete.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Yeah, it hasn't worked very well. Off to get some Jacquard Screen Printing Ink at the one place in town that has it -- closes in 30 minutes, not open again until Tuesday, off I go!
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

So here is how things looked with acrylic artist's paint:

Still blobby and not good enough. Time to wipe it off and try something else...

This is when I found the one art store in Toronto with Jacquard Screen Printing Ink, which I'd been looking for for the last week to no avail. Marta knew of an art store I hadn't called, they had some but were closing in 40 minutes. A $10 Lyft ride across town got us there just in time.

The first attempt looked very promising. Too bad I missed a spot.

Eventually I refined my technique and was getting beautiful impressions every time. I think I did about 15 impressions before figuring out this process. In case you ever want to do something similar, this is how it's done:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

I've now got 4 very nice looking polypropylene fascia for my Paradise boxes. And if I mess anything up with these, I now know how to do this. If I find a typo (this was my first thought when I finished!) I have a full box of screens as well as another "tester" screen to play around with...

They look really nice from about a foot away:

I thought they looked perfect until I got this image cropped. They're not quite up to professional Naim quality, but they're really quite good.

I didn't expect that to take me a full day -- but at least I figured it out eventually.
MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

I think they look quuite good!! Hardly think anyone is going to stick their nose 6 inches from them and even then they probably wouldn't notice anything wrong.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Thanks, Dan! Worth noting that the logos are tiny -- 0.9cm tall by about 4cm wide... so 1/3" tall by 1.5". The edges aren't bad given the tiny size...
Joe

Post by Joe »

They look to me to be as good as you are going to be able to get printing onto that textured surface.
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

They look fantastic Adam, great work.
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Yeah, I think Joe is bang on; the textured finish will be limiting the final quality and I think, given the small size as well, you’ve done extremely well to achieve that level of accuracy - bloody well done bud!
Mark
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

You’ve got me thinking about redoing all my front panel now.
Mark