LP12 bits n bobs

Hi-Fi discussion
hifiaf

Re: LP12 bits n bobs

Post by hifiaf »

Busy day here too :)

I've had some good conversations with Rick Duplisea of Audio Alternative in Colorado (the place with the Javelin and Tranquilities). He says he's written a short manual for setting up and using the Javelin, since it didn't come with one. I'll share that when it arrives...
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

Nice!

If I can find a way to get a Tranquility from US to UK I think I will give one a go. A mod even I can fit (I hope!) and at $350, while not peanuts, cheaper than a Karousel to achieve the same thing, a quieter bearing?
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

I would personally fit one even if I had a Karousel.

————-

No sooner had I written, last night, that I hadn’t done any further work on the Aro geometry than I felt sufficiently guilty to sit up late measuring my Aro to draw it from actual first-hand measurements to compare to the stated measurements on the Naim drawings. Anyway, I CAD drew the arm and am pleased to say that Naim’s construction and tolerances are extremely tight - for my Aro anyway :) (mine is a very early one). In fact it’s really beautifully machined with very tight tolerances (accurate to 0.01mm). During this process I did find a mistake in my previous drawing where, for some reason I still don’t understand, I weirdly set the cartridge mounting centres a tiny bit short. Anyway, I’ll do the math again today from the new drawing.
Mark
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

I can tell you any ARO built around the late 80s / early 90s would almost certainly have been lovingly hand made by Paul. A meticulous worker, smoker of roll ups, lover of Queen and Metal.
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Indeed, I know they were made in small batches.

In the past I have seen people on forums complaining about the cost of the Aro with terms like ‘a few bits of aluminium glued together’. What they completely fail to take account of is the cost of machining such components to very tight tolerances and in small quantities!
Mark
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Thank you, Mark! And now I feel guilty for making you feel guilty!

My own Aro, which I have yet to install, was I think made in the later 90s. I got it from a man in Seattle who ran a hifi business and is a Naim junkie. I know he said that he was using the Aro in a mono system, but you would never know it had been used -- it's totally immaculate. All the boxes, manuals, etc., are also absolutely immaculate. I personally find the Aro one of the most beautiful objects ever produced — I truly don't understand the people on forums who call them "ugly" — and mine is particularly beautiful. Clearly they were manufactured with great care.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Not to inspire any further guilt, Mark, but did you manage to get to that math? :)
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Humph, well yes and no - I did all the CAD modelling but....... the Vinyl Engine calculator isn’t designed for this and it alters my figures to suit its own algorithms. So, basically, it tries to force the alignment you have chosen when what actually happens is some custom alignment.
Mark
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Ah, now there’s a thought - will get back to you.
Mark
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Mark