Tiger Paw Javelin setup instructions

Hi-Fi discussion
hifiaf

Tiger Paw Javelin setup instructions

Post by hifiaf »

I don't have my Javelin yet (it should arrive in around a week), but the wheels are already spinning in my head about setup. I had to ship the Javelin to a friend in the US who will forward it on to me in Canada. He was nice enough to scan the setup instructions that Rick Duplisea of Audio Alternative wrote out for me. I thought I'd post them here so that anyone curious about them could track them down.

https://www.hifiaf.com/wp-content/uploa ... _setup.pdf

Scanning through this, it all looks pretty straightforward. It seems like the fixed DIN attachment point will be a bit of work, but I love that idea — should make "cable dressing" and arm removal really simple. I worry a bit about the cuing mechanism not being adjustable. I've learned not to trust cuing mechanisms since installing my Ekos (the one on my Nima was great, so I used it) — but given how much fuss people make about the Aro's lack of cuing mechanism, I would have thought that would be something Roger would want to really nail. Mark, do you use yours? It seems like it might not be friendly to a short cartridge like a Troika.

By the way, someone on pfm picked up a hint that I'd tracked down a Javelin and got in touch with me. He snapped up the last one yesterday.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Tiger Paw Javelin setup instructions

Post by YNWaN »

The cueing mechanism is adjustable - I’ve adjusted it on mine.
Mark

hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Looks like we might need a v. 2.0 of these instructions then :)

VTA

Post by VTA »

I got my Javelin up and running last night for a quick spin, initial impression was very good. I still have some set up to do, have not even messed with adjusting anti skate yet, will do that today.

Set up was easier than I expected but I found a couple of things I hope to get clarification on:

1. My arm came with small anti skate parts sealed (as if not used before) in plastic bag with separate sections for each part. One of the parts was a small washer (see photo shown in a plastic bag, not bag it came in):

https://imgur.com/wPDmAQq

The best I could come up with was that it should be used to hold the anti skate line snug against the pivot body, as if not used it tended to stick out a bit. Here is a photo of the item situated:

https://imgur.com/zFYVnUZ

Anyone know if I got this right?

2. Arm cue works very well but when arm is in resting position and cue is in up position the arm becomes locked in place. I do like this and expect it is by design but just wanted clarification. It does result in less swing space to move arm when I flip/change an LP as it will not go back to arm rest while cue is up. Cartridge being used is an AT-OC9/II which is a good height but I do not think matters to this peculiarity.

Big thx to HIFIAF for the lead in tracking down one of these arms.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Hmm... you’ve got me on that first one - I’ve no idea what the purpose of that washer is. It’s not something that came with mine and it never came up in conersation with Richard.

As for the arm rest and combined clip, yes, you are right on every count :).
Mark

hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Looks like a rogue washer! Very interested to hear how you get along with the Javelin (and its interesting anti-skate arrangement!) in the coming days, VTA. Speaking of which, I noticed some delighted mocking of Roger's understanding of anti-skate forces on the Steve Hoffman forum: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... rm.751326/

I've been following the FedEx Ground tracking on my Javelin/Tranquility package with bated breath, hoping it would arrive in time for my birthday tomorrow. Anaheim, CA; Essex, CA; Albuquerque, NM; Stroud, OK; Indianapolis, IA... Alas, it looks like it won't cross the border in time.

VTA

Post by VTA »

I just got off the phone with Rick at The Audio Alternative (shop in Colorado USA) where are Javelins came from. He said that if the part in question was still sealed in plastic then he had not used it as that is how it came from factory. Maybe it was packed in by mistake, who knows, another question for Roger and the Javelin mystery if we ever catch up with him!

Not sure what Rogers strange ideas of anti skate were? The anti skate as provided on the Javelin looks like it will do job as needed!

Hang in there HIFIAF (and happy birthday).

sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

Centripital force is exactly what is acting to cause the skating force, the combination of overhang and arm arc is what causes it to vary.
One more Paradise left to complete.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

I would also add that offset angle does also play a part.
Mark

VTA

Post by VTA »

Proposed amendment to fitting instructions:

3. Insert arm collar/base onto predrilled LP-12 Ekos/Akito arm board.

You will find the collar/base can be rotated very slightly at this point with the bolts having some room in the arm board holes. Rotate the collar/base so that the front (part with smaller of two holes for arm lift) will end up a little further from the record at playback*.

Use the three nuts with lock washers provided. Tighten only to the point the arm board begins to bend inward and stop.

*This is not necessary for use but will provide a bit more working space to cue your arm during record flips and swaps that you will find welcome.

Please feel free to re-word if this is not clear, I suck at the literature bit!