Garage system

Hi-Fi discussion
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Garage system

Post by YNWaN »

Oh, I would put the manual volume at maximum as then it will be as out of the circuit as it can be without removing it entirely.

As you say, the remote volume does work really well - in fact better than most others. Because it’s a radio transmitter and receiver you don’t even have to point the remote at the amp to use it (which is more that could be said of the multi-thousand pound Vitus amp I used). The design thought, build and quality of Kit’s designs really epitomises how the audio cottage industry product has developed. The best of these tiny brands produce product of a standard that even the larger manufacturers struggled to achieve ten years ago (some don’t achieve it now). RSL, Avondale and a handful of others, really do make gear that is beyond criticism when it comes to build quality.
Mark
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Well Mark has accused me in another thread of being very fond of step-by-step guides, and the accusation is just.

I've been waiting for the Tiger Paw VulKan wall shelf that @VTA tipped me off to for over a month, as it did its penance in customs purgatory, but it finally arrived today, and I wasted no time getting it up.

1. Pick a spot

2. Make a mounting template so your four holes are in the right spots. If possible, use red nail polish so that it looks like you marked the spots in your own blood. (Pens and pencils don't fit through the screw holes, so creativity is required.)

3. Once the mounting template is taped absolutely level to the wall, drill away.

4. Admire your handiwork. You have just taken on concrete and prevailed.

5. Make sure it's still level. If not, give it a little twist.

6. Check that you like where you've got it, because that's where it will be staying.

7. Get the turntable on.

8. If this is the first thing you see, you've done a good job to this point.

9. Get all your other components into the vicinity of your turntable. You will need them. And they will need nice rubber feet, so if your friend Will has sent you some nice rubber feet, now is the time to put them on.

10. See if music still comes out of it and be happy when it does.

11. Stop pretending that you are making a how-to guide and reflect on your plans for organizing your components. What you plan is to put anything connected to power (amp, Snaps, Paradise PSUs, Mober PSU) on the top of the shelf, everything else (32.5, main Paradise boxes) on the lower shelf. But you need to remove the shelf from the wall to pass all the cables through, and cable management is a task for another day. Also, the CB boxes look cute all bunched together.

Last edited by hifiaf on Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Yep, looks good 8-)
Mark
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Having spent most of the evening hanging out in the garage with Mrs. Hifiaf, some notes:

a) When I power off the Snaps/32.5 with the 110 left on, the 110 makes a very loud humming noise, like a lost ground. Is that normal or evidence of some problem with cabling/wiring/grounding in the 110?

b) It seems that the 32.5/Snaps/110 chain is now picking up radio :( Very quiet, on all sources, I didn't notice it when it was set up on the other wall, but definitely happening now. Possibly related to (a)?

c) Mrs. Hifiaf favours the idea of having all the components on the top of the shelf, since CB stuff "stacks" so nicely. Is there any sonic disadvantage in stacking the stuff close together? Should I try to keep everything as far apart as possible? The two-level approach would put about 14 vertical and 6 horizontal inches between everything. But then, this looks so great:

(I promise not to turn anything on its side.)

d) I need longer speaker cable! I'll get ordering some Van Damme Tour Grade Black, possibly along with some of the new magic Snaic cable. (Anakonda is such a perfect name for that cable!)

e) The rubber feet Nobeone sent me look amazing! Thanks again, Will!

f) Piper at the Gates of Dawn sounds amazing on this setup :)
TomB

Post by TomB »

hifiaf wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:10 am Having spent most of the evening hanging out in the garage with Mrs. Hifiaf, some notes:

a) When I power off the Snaps/32.5 with the 110 left on, the 110 makes a very loud humming noise, like a lost ground. Is that normal or evidence of some problem with cabling/wiring/grounding in the 110?
Hi Adam, I noticed this happening with my Nac 12, Hicap w/RSL PSM-1 and and a Nap 110, just before replacing the relay board with an RSL Z500 realy board. The problem disappeared with the new relay board. I would not say it was a very loud hum but very audible. I should go back and see if the problem returns with the old relay board.
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

a) Point of order, don't power stuff off like that!

Power on order: Snaps, wait 5 seconds, NAP110.
Power off order: NAP110, wait for gentle "boff" from the speakers, Snaps.

Anything else may put a big "POP" through your gothic fridges.

b) This vintage of hifi is pre EMC regulation and may well be susceptible but even then people would have complained about radio pick up, something is not quite right here. Naim phono stages have a reputation for picking up radio, the Prefix had a specific issue and there was a modification. However if this is on all inputs it isn't that! As Tom suggests it is something in the signal path shared by all inputs, probably connected to the 32.5 as the 110 is line level + so less likely to be affected and the Snaps is a PSU and whatever rubbish you read about Naim circuits they do provide power supply rejection. So gain cards, the 32 equivalent of the 72 time align cards, the relay card, wiring, something.

It may be you have found this problem after moving the kit by misfortune. Try remaking the interconnects - power off, remember Naim SNAICS carry power and signal, this isn't just plugging a line level into a pre amp! Try the alternative interconnect arrangement the vendor suggested. Try moving stuff about a bit!

If none of that works check with Kit and his loan MagicPower boards as that might just cure it.

c) Typically you would try and keep the Snaps and 110 away from the 32.5, these have big toroidal transformers and "nasty" PSU voltages and currents creating EMI that can affect sensitive low voltage/current signals and high gain circuits in a preamp. So phono stages and pre amps want to be physically away from PSUs and power amps and your Mober supply counts as a PSU :)

e) Glad to see the feet got to you :D
Last edited by Nobeone on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

Oh and if replacing speaker cable, the cheap version of Naim plugs are the Deltron plugs, as far as I know the same connector (same style and silver) but straight plugs rather than 90 degree. They will work the same and I find the Naim 90 degree jobs, while useful behind Naim back to wall speakers, are a pain at the amp end of things. YMMV. I can look up part numbers later if you are interested.
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Yeah, I would reiterate most Of the above. Particularly 1/ the order you turn the amps on and off is important - when turning on it’s pre (Hi-Cap), then wait a couple of seconds for the relay and then the power amp. When turning off it’s power amp first - wait for the capacitors to discharge (you will hear a quiet pop from the speakers) and then turn off the pre-amp. 2/ all Naim MC boards are prone to RF pickup - the K variant is worse than the S. The good news is that the Paradise seems to be entirely immune to this problem :).

I’ll try to write a bit of a ‘how to’ step-by-step guide to the AnaKonda later today.....
Mark
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Oh, don’t get the standard Deltron plugs, the solder buckets are too small really for 4mm cable - you can get the same thing with larger buckets for not much more. I linked to them in a recent speaker cable query thread...
Mark
flatpopely
Site Admin

Post by flatpopely »

Where did those NAIM cases come from?
Flat Earth rocks with PJC!

LP12/Ittok LVII/Tranquility/RubiKon/ASAKA/RadiKal
Topping D10 - Soundblaster X-Fi HD
SONY CDP 338ESD
SONY TC-K444esII
JVC AX-Z1010TN