Garage system

Hi-Fi discussion
hifiaf

Re: Garage system

Post by hifiaf »

YNWaN wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:12 am Nice job on the cables bud :) - I fully appreciate how frustrating they can be to assemble.

So, you aren’t getting any radio breakthrough from any of the unshielded cables you have just built? The only problem was the run to the power amps?

I’m looking forward to any further thoughts you have. Try the AnaKonda gain too.
Thanks Mark! Seriously, I think making that tonearm cable was harder than putting the Paradise together -- and only one smallish thing went wrong. I did notice today that I managed to get the channels reversed :) I wired the DIN correctly I think so perhaps it's my Javelin arm lead that's backwards? -- Anyway I'll just reverse the cartridge leads next time I'm in there, and for now R and L and reversed going into the 32.5...

No radio breakthrough -- it was just the run to the power amps (or maybe the ferrite toroids are able to cancel all accumulated RFI from the entire run)?

I got a chance to listen to more records a bit louder today and there's no doubt: very clear improvement, really quite amazing, what I would call a 10%-15% improvement. Clarity, texture, zing, snap, realism... pretty remarkable (reMarKable?). Yes, I did end up spending about $425 CAD on the materials for the four cables I made this weekend, but that seems to have been money well spent. Whether I needed to drop so much on the Furutech connectors is a story for another day... (The Star Lines were $15 for 4).

And yes I'll give the AnaKonda another shot this weekend...
Last edited by hifiaf on Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Mark, have you ever tried the "triple Konduit" DIN-->DIN? Does it make sense given your design? I mean, the signal and return are now at quite different distances than specified...

My signal is so weak on the Nat01 that it's probably not sounding good enough to notice much of a difference at this point :(
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

hifiaf wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:00 am Mark, have you ever tried the "triple Konduit" DIN-->DIN? Does it make sense given your design? I mean, the signal and return are now at quite different distances than specified...
Well, no, I haven’t - but that’s largely because I favour the power and signal together - following the Naim layout.
Mark
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

I meant in a "signal only" 5-pin (180 degree) DIN. But thinking this over... you wouldn't have any of those in your system!
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

No, that’s right - gotta sleep now :).
Mark
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Another busy week of work for me, but thankfully quite a bit of my work involves reading, which can sometimes be done with music playing really loud... So I've been able to listen to quite a lot of music this week, and I have to say, the difference the new interconnects have made seems to be quite profound. "Crisp" is the main word I'd use to describe the difference, but I've also noticed much faster, deeper bass, so that drums have never sounded so good. I had Roxy Music's Avalon on earlier and "While My Heart is Still Beating" totally knockied me out which its crisp details and tight bass. Paul Simon's Graceland is on now (an album I feel ambivalent about, but fabulous-sounding) and wow, that wiry electric bass and those juicy drums... Oh man, then the vocal harmonies on "Homeless," very rich and deep. Listening to music in the garage is such a massive pleasure -- I can hardly believe how far I've come out here!

I won't be able to do any A-B testing of the tonearm cable, since getting them in and out is such a pain. But I'll spend some time tomorrow swapping around Paradise --> 32.5 cables and giving the AnaKonda another shot.

As good as things are sounding, as you all know, I'm an incorrigible tinkerer and have a few more things planned. I want to test out the effects of "de-ringing" my LP12, starting with swapping the Mober subchassis for a Kore, then swapping the top plate for a Stack (Theo has offered to send me both his stainless and aluminum top plates), then putting my wooden plinth back in.

In other news, I got my replacement PSM-2 from Kit on Wednesday and got it installed yesterday, and it's holding its voltage on both rails. I don't notice any difference in sonic performance versus the one that was drifting slightly (both sound exceptional) but it's very nice to have one in that is working right! I've got the other two in the mail back to Kit to figure out what was up...
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

On second thought...

Having finished the above listening session in one of the most joyous moods I've ever found myself — I closed the session with Adam/VTA's incredible gift Stay Awake, the unbelievably-great-in-every-way Hal Willner Disney tribute disc — I've decided to leave things where they are for a while with the turntable. I think what I'll do is work on perfecting/stabilizing my loudspeaker setup and only THEN, when everything but the turntable is in a fixed state, begin a second "LP12 Modification Frenzy," in which I experiment with all the stuff I have left to test: the Karousel that's on its way, various non-ringing parts (top plates, subchassis, plinths), some retipped Troikas, perhaps even the Lingo 4 that I still hold some hope I'll get back fixed...

As for "perfecting the loudspeaker setup," that's very nearly done, but some work remains...

-- Power is done (DC blocker, BMU, Hydra)
-- Interconnects are done (Koeus, Konduit, SKylla)
-- Phono stage/power supply/preamp/amp is done (Paradise, "ZapSnaps," fully RSL'ed 32.5, recapped 135s)

All I need to do now is:
-- Active amplification for bass driver in NS-1000Ms (Lab.gruppen IPD1200 is slowly making its way to me via eBay's incredibly slow in-house shipping service)
-- External crossovers for NS-1000Ms

So it's time for me to look into what I need for those crossovers... And I guess I should finally open mine up and have a look at what's in there. Hopefully we'll be able to coordinate our external-crossover-making schedules, Dan!

--

Oh, I've also realized that since I have replaced absolutely everything I started my LP12MF with (well, except the dust cover), I can now rebuild the original turntable to compare it to what I've currently got. That should be a fun post! I recycled two of the spring bolts from my original SS top plate for use in the Paradise PSU but I might have some extras... otherwise, everything should be there...
Last edited by hifiaf on Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

What a fitting way to conclude the LP12MF, comparing where you end up with where you started. I like that.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

The most expensive (and perhaps the most important?) component in the Garage System has arrived: a ductless heating/cooling system.

Apparently the heating works down to -25C and is extremely efficient.

The bad news it that, having installed everything, the workmen told me that the electrical line supplying the garage is of insufficient gauge (only 12awg). Thankfully I made sure to have their electrician approve everything before signing on the dotted line, so hopefully they'll eat the extra cost of running a heavier wire (underground!). We'll see how it goes!
VTA

Post by VTA »

I had a 20amp dedicated line run for my stereo in last house. Not embarrassed about it. :)
LP12/VP Revolution/Prefix/Hicap/Supernait/Kudos X2
Troika, Karma, Klyde, Asaka, Asak
OC9ML/II, 33PTG/II, DL103R
Javelin, LV/II, PU3, 774, RB600