Aro installation and setup

Hi-Fi discussion
hifiaf

Aro installation and setup

Post by hifiaf »

Yesterday, I installed the Aro tonearm with a Greenstreet subchassis onto my LP12. I'm working on a blog post about it right now, but Will and I have been having some discussions in PMs, centering on the question of the correct position/alignment of the anti-skate mechanism. He's got some ideas and photos to share...

I've been working like a dog over the last 24 hours, installing the Aro and then catching up on some blog posts I've been delayed with, since I've been spending all my spare time (and then some) writing here. But here are the two latest:

a) a review of the TP Javelin, which has some Aro content (Will corrected a few mistakes on there when he spotted the post this morning, which led to the discussion about anti-skate positioning). https://www.hifiaf.com/tiger-paw-javelin/ Short take: I like the Javelin!

b) a listening test of the Javelin with the Troika swapped out for the XX-2. https://www.hifiaf.com/xx-2-plus-javelin/ Short take: I don't like the XX-2 as much as the Troika!

Some pretty pics of the Javelin and Aro:

YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Aro installation and setup

Post by YNWaN »

Hmm.. yes, I recal, there was some question over the the way bias is applied to the Aro. Indeed, I didn’t use the standard method. One point rarely covered is the bias hanger often needs to be bent upward so that the bias line approaches it parallel to the record. I also found that increasing the weight of the bias weight, but moving the leverage point closer to the bearing cup (to compensate - so less leverage but more weight) improved the way the bias worked.
Mark
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

Adam asked me to share a few photos of my Aro bias hanger after I suggested it is a relatively significant bit of set up perhaps overlooked a little.

However to suggest I am some sort of Aro expert it is to seriously over state my experience! So here are a few photos and my thoughts to perhaps illuminate or perhaps let me learn a few things :lol:

So here is a general shot showing the obligatory (in my house) cat hair on a record, to give a view from the "usual" sharp end of things:

ImageIMG_20200614_154919124_HDR by Will Moore, on Flickr

Now my understanding is that with the stylus more or less in the middle of a record you want the bias weight filament to be parallel to the arm, thus (though without the dust on the Aro head shell):

ImageIMG_20200614_154649270_HDR by Will Moore, on Flickr

While from the side you want the bias weight filament to be horizontal in line with the arm, mine isn't quite, or perhaps the perspective is a bit poor, but you get the idea I hope:

ImageIMG_20200614_154734632_HDR by Will Moore, on Flickr

Since Adam already commented on it, I should point out that if you like 90s Indy, and remember fondly Salad, or loved John Peel and caught Eton Crop (Pip's Dad's band!) on one of their Peel Sessions, you should have a listen. Boat as an album is LoFi, but a great debut. It did surprisingly well for them and so there is a Deluxe version as a re-release even though it is but a few months old. My only disappointment with their debut album is that it missed out an earlier single that got me hooked.
Last edited by Nobeone on Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Ah, I see the bias hanger adjustment is precisely the issue you were discussing - well now you can have more fun adjusting the weight and position of the bias line and hanging weight ;). I added weight by using a small dab of blu-tack to stick a few headshell washers to the weights underside.
Mark
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

YNWaN wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:24 pm Hmm.. yes, I recal, there was some question over the the way bias is applied to the Aro. Indeed, I didn’t use the standard method. One point rarely covered is the bias hanger often needs to be bent upward so that the bias line approaches it parallel to the record. I also found that increasing the weight of the bias weight, but moving the leverage point closer to the bearing cup (to compensate - so less leverage but more weight) improved the way the bias worked.
I think we are saying the same thing? I think you want the filament to pull on the bias arm so the vertical force from the bias weight is turned by the hanger in to a horizontal force around the pivot in line with the bias arm? Not sure I'm using quite the correct terms, just a Software Eng and not a Mech Eng :D
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Yes, we are saying the same thing with regard to the orientation of the bias line - otherwise, if not approaching the hanger loop parallel to the record, it will also apply a twisting motion.

But I’m making a different point with regard to increasing the bias weight and moving the position of the line closer to the bearing cup.
Mark
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Here's where mine are right now -- a position arrived at purely by intuition. The alignment seems not bad, but maybe I'm not applying enough force (I'm only on the first notch).

Any other fans of of Graham Coxon's The Spinning Top? I love it. I'll post a song or two in the songs thread later on...
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

First notch but with more weight.

I don’t know of Graham Coxon at all!
Mark
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

Thanks Mark, yes I think where you put it on the bias arm is another matter!

The inside setting is for VTF of 1.5g according to the manual, 0.25g every notch, so for my DV 20X2 L, and your Dynavector too I think Adam, the recommended VTF is 1.8 to 2.2 g , so at 1.8 g perhaps the second notch from the cup, at 2g the third notch from the cup, and if running 2.2 g perhaps the fourth notch from the cup? I run with about 2g and the third notch from the cup but I haven't played with reducing it, moving it closer in to the cup as Mark suggests, perhaps I should!
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

YNWaN wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:47 pm I don’t know of Graham Coxon at all!
Yeah you do ;) you just don't recognise the name, Blur's lead guitarist. A real eccentric talent.