Adam's Paradise

Hi-Fi discussion
hifiaf

Adam's Paradise

Post by hifiaf »

That's a properly Edenic subject heading, isn't it? Not sure who/what is Eve, or Satan, in this setup. I'll definitely want to avoid plugging any SNAICs into the Paradise, that's for sure... Definitely want to keep it well away from my Apple Mac...

Anyway, puns out of the way, I/Adam am about to receive my fully assembled Paradise boards with Calvin buffers from Si, who has mailed them off today. He's also included some bits to help me put everything together. Photos of the boards and the bits are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59684834@ ... 4642578283

I'll be building the pre-regulators/PSU boxes and assembling everything into flatpopely's Naim shoebox cases, four of which I have been lucky enough to source from kind pfm members.

The first trick will be getting everything built. With Simon's instructions and your help here, I'm sure that will go relatively smoothly. I'll document it all in this thread. I would still like to use a HiCap-style power switch on the front, though I know Si doesn't like that idea, and I won't be stubborn if it will compromise the sound quality of the Paradise, which is after all the whole point in a no-compromise design like this...

Then I'll need to get some fascia made. Following my recent conversion to CB gear, I'll be pursuing a CB look, quite a bit simpler than my previous, complicated plan. Something like this:

It seems that the CB fascia are just screen printed onto black matte polycarbonate. I'm sure I could get a local shop to do that for me. I could probably get the polycarbonate from a craft shop and cut everything to size with a paper trimmer -- or maybe have it laser-cut to size if that would be better. Another option is to have sticker decals made and to use them as masks, then to spray paint or otherwise ink the logo onto the polycarbonate.

Of course that sounds a bit too easy, doesn't it? I've been thinking it might be fun to do a kind of hybrid CB/Olive aesthetic. For this, I would use clear polycarbonate and do an olive-style front-back parallax effect. Again using sticker decals as masks, I'd paint the back of the panel black except for the reverse side of the lettering, which would be left clear. Then on the front I'd only paint on the logo, white. Then I'd use light tubes and side lighting to draw up light from the green Paradise LEDs to give a rear-illuminated effect.

Oh, and I'll need to get my cases sanded for the CB look, too. Andrew says this on the shoebox product page. Hopefully it's as simple as it sounds.
It is painted both ends, if you want the CB ‘Chrome Bumper’ look you simply need to sand off the paint at one end, the technique is called linishing. Contact a local paint shop and they should be able to do it for you very cheaply. This is what NAIM did to achieve the CB look.
Lots to sort out -- those are only a few preliminary thoughts...
Last edited by hifiaf on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Adam's Paradise

Post by YNWaN »

I’m not sure the fronts of the CB range were polycarbonate (in fact I’m pretty certain they weren’t) - might have one somewhere and will have a look.
Mark
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

This thread on pfm suggests there's a cheap source of the exact correct material from Staples in the UK: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads ... per.89078/ Some kind of PVC perhaps?

A4 Size Twin Pocket Folder
Part no. # 10764-UK
barcode 0 718103 012423

at Staples Office supplies for £1.49

This thread says "black polypropylene": https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads ... aim.54811/
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Yes, polypropylene would have been my guess.
Mark
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Looks like Office Depot will have something suitable here in Canada for about $1.

But that's just the easy option :) Maybe best to start there, of course.
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

As per the linishing, this just means sanding flat with a belt sander - you don’t want a paint shop for this, more likely a wood shop. In the case (ho, ho) of the CB cases they used a coarse grade to do the sanding as you can see the marks in the aluminium.
Mark
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Excellent, thanks Mark. I wish I had a belt sander of my own. I wonder if I could get the desired effect just with a sanding block...
sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

They're crystalline polypropylene, cast not extruded sheet.
Paradise phonostage, benz lp, kuzma stabi s 12
Bpbp, nuerochrome mod86p bridged monos
Yamaha ns100m, quarter cut Oak veneer, raal 140-15d ribbons
VTA

Post by VTA »

hifiaf wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:44 pm Excellent, thanks Mark. I wish I had a belt sander of my own. I wonder if I could get the desired effect just with a sanding block...
I should think you will do fine with a sanding block, this would be my choice as I am more prone to going a bit too far too fast with power tools! That said an orbital if you have one handy would be ok and likely safer than a belt. Don't get me wrong, belts are the best and quickest in the hands of a quality worker, and your bike building likely makes you much more quality than I would be!

For facia an option is to paint the inside of the front panel if made from clear acrylic and then to laser engrave off the logo. This is how my mates laser shop does facias and stuff for some aircraft gauges etc. I have no Olive gear here to look but might be how the old stuff is done?

Photos of boards look great!
LP12/VP Revolution/Prefix/Hicap/Supernait/Kudos X2
Troika, Karma, Klyde, Asaka, Asak
OC9ML/II, 33PTG/II, DL103R
Javelin, LV/II, PU3, 774
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

I'm looking for leads on places to
-- source the right polypropylene for a CB fascia and get it cut to size
-- do silk screening on CB fascia
or
-- get acrylic cut to size
-- do laser cutting of logos on the back

Maybe the person your friend uses, Adam? Going local doesn't seem especially important since these things would be cheap to ship, and I'd rather deal with people who you've had personal good experiences with.

--

Also: tonearm leads and interconnects.

I need a slightly longer tonearm lead than the one the Javelin came with, and I'd like to try my hand at a DIY cable. And I also need an interconnect to connect the Paradise to the 32.5's BNC inputs. I'm thinking of using BNCs on both the inputs and output of the Paradise, as well. Does that sounds like a decent idea? I like the way BNCs connect -- and I have a hunch you can get good connectors at reasonable prices, whereas RCAs might be most costly.

I'm planning to use the Mogami microphone cable Mark used in his recent DIY cable shootout.

I'd appreciate recommendations on:
-- good BNC plugs/terminals to use
-- a good right-angle DIN for the Javelin end, suitable for two lengths of Mogami (because the Paradise boxes may be positioned somewhat far away, I'd rather run the left and right cables separately). An all-metal connector would be good since the Javelin cable mount uses a grub screw to hold it in place.