Paradise.....more found than lost!

Hi-Fi discussion
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Paradise.....more found than lost!

Post by YNWaN » Fri May 24, 2019 9:18 pm

So, the scales have fallen from my eyes (so to speak), and the relevance of both the Calvin buffer silver coil and the R27 resistor are laid bare. Both of these components are directly in the signal path and the R27 resistor is connected across (in parallel) the coil. Also, hence the use of pure silver for the inductor coil because the audio signal passes through it.
Mark

REXTON

Post by REXTON » Fri May 24, 2019 9:58 pm

I've been naughty again and ordered a few more things from hifi collective. Mainly, gold plated ms HD plug, the R27 resistors, some fancy Z foil loading resistors for my new Ortofon Royal N SPU and some WBT-0210 Ag RCA's. The should fetch me up to date apart from the Silver inductor coils, and including all the other bits purchased for the Shunt mods! Just need to wait now for the bits to turn up. ;)
TT Garrard 401 (Fully Bastin'd)
Phonostage Paradise (4 Box)
Pre Croft Epoch (Heavily modified)
Power Sondex S100 (Heavily modified)
Cabling National Grid

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Sat May 25, 2019 9:16 am

My Paradise, a four box unit, needs two mains leads. In my case these are connected together at the mains plug - which is an MS-HD Power one (the mains cables are Belden - all my mains cables are).
Mark

REXTON

Post by REXTON » Sat May 25, 2019 6:07 pm

YNWaN wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:16 am
My Paradise, a four box unit, needs two mains leads. In my case these are connected together at the mains plug - which is an MS-HD Power one (the mains cables are Belden - all my mains cables are).
Yep same as mine, I wanted mine that way to negate IEC's. I use belden as well altough some 2nd hand leads I've purchased have better quality cable.
Cabling National Grid

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Sat May 25, 2019 7:25 pm

Oh, I didn’t explain very well, my Paradise does have IEC sockets - hard-wired mains is too awkward for me. Having said that, my distribution block is hard wired so it’s more where the connection is made.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Sun May 26, 2019 1:27 pm

Well I’ve ordered myself a new soldering iron as my old one seems to be on the way out. It should be here in a day or so and then I’ll fit the R27 resistor and tidy up a couple of minor bits. I guess I need to fit the transistor houses too but will have to print myself another set first.
Mark

REXTON

Post by REXTON » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:49 pm

Well I'm slumming it tonight with a highly modded EAR 834 clone. My Paradise is very poorly and in need of some attention. A quick call to Dr. Si will hopefully sort her out. I finally managed to get all the bits together as well for the latest round of mods apart from the Silver inductor coils. I'm still really pissed off with myself I didn't buy a pair when I had chance :oops:.
Cabling National Grid

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 am

Most recent pics of the inside of my Paradise (and hopefully the last iteration):

Mark

ChrisOH1

Post by ChrisOH1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:33 am

Love it when a plan comes together. Looking forward to hearing your view of the cumulative effect and of course sorting mine out in due course.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Paradise.... the second coming?

Post by YNWaN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:50 pm

It’s getting to the point where obsession, fetishism and subjectivism become difficult to separate....

However, I will try to be as objective as possible as to how my Paradise now sounds. Coherence and ‘natural’ dynamic were always strong points but now extension at both extremes seems to have been extended and so does resolution. At the same time the top end has lost any sense of hardness or exaggeration. In fact this last quality is quite remarkable. The overall sound is amazingly open, atmospheric and ‘sparkling’ - scintillating even. However, no matter how congested the sound becomes the musical threads remain separate and never collapse into cacophony or become hard and congested. The overall effect is quite remarcable!
Mark