How to make your own Yamaha NS-1000M Crossovers

Hi-Fi discussion
FrostEOne

Re: How to make your own Yamaha NS-1000M Crossovers

Post by FrostEOne » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm in no hurry mate, got lots of staining and varnishing to do. Curious though. Here's a doctored pic, added -1dB and -2dB shows better where they are set.

FrostEOne

Post by FrostEOne » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:46 pm

Added a dot on control knob, makes it easier to tell where they're set.

karma67

Post by karma67 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 pm

YNWaN wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 pm
Karma67, I’m also really keen to hear how you get on - very interested indeed in fact.

Part of the trouble with enthusing about my own speakers is that they are now far from standard and the upgraded crossovers is only one element within many others. On the kind of music I listen to they can sound really remarkable, transcendent even. Huge dynamic range and contrast whilst catching the slightest breath or pluck of a string - almost frightening in their realism and immediacy.
yep no probs,i will do plenty of photos ,ive just bought another turntable so the speakers will be on hold for a small while.it will happen though,im keen to do them,just need to build funds up again.

FrostEOne

Post by FrostEOne » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 am

Finally starting to wind up the stereo stand project, preparing to build the external crossovers.
Any thoughts on mounting the crossovers to the speaker backs? Would save floor clutter and several connections that way.
I figure on putting them low, covering the original input location, wiring from speakers would run through a plate made to cover original crossover opening.
Open for discussion!

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:05 pm

I don’t really see why you shouldn’t, other than the extra bulk. I have seen manufacturers use a semi-compliant mount to do this - a stew through an 0-ring.
Mark

FrostEOne

Post by FrostEOne » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:01 pm

YNWaN wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:05 pm
I don’t really see why you shouldn’t, other than the extra bulk. I have seen manufacturers use a semi-compliant mount to do this - a stew through an 0-ring.
Did you mean screw through an o-ring? Individual grommets for each wire would be nice too.
Just tossing this around in my head, wonder if one could use the OEM crossover screw holes to attach. Make a panel that fits OEM crossover opening, it would seal cabinet and provide a place for wiring to pass through.
Attach it to the new crossover enclosure and use original screw holes to attach new crossover. Maybe some small bumpers or pads on corners of new crossover enclosure where they contact the speaker back. Mount them flush or close to bottom of speaker.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Yes, sorry, a mixture of work related fatigue and typing on my phone - a typically dumb mistake really.
Mark

FrostEOne

Post by FrostEOne » Sat May 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Long delay on this project due to becoming a Grandfather.
Looking like DIY could be an answer for the 5.0mh 0.410 Ohm air core choke coil.
Cross-Over Network; Air Core Inductor Calculator - http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/inductor_info.html
Enter 5.0mh, Generate results, 3rd down is 0.410 Ohm
This would be a LARGE choke coil!
78.7 m of 12ga wire with 142.84 mm air ID and Height of 35.71 mm
Ordered some 12ga magnet wire, need to build form for coil.
Have inductance and capacitance meters for checking.
Preliminary component layout pic: Image
(5.0 iron core is there to represent a coil goes there)

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Sat May 18, 2019 6:54 pm

If you don’t want to DIY the coil Jantzen will custom wind any value you want and at no extra charge (this doesn’t seem to be widely known).

I’m looking forward to hearing how you get on with this — are all the capacitors Mundorf Supreme?

I’ve been thinking about redoing my crossovers as I only need the mid and tweeter sections. I’ve also toyed with replacing the resistors that form the L-Pads...... I don’t know though, in many ways the only negative about my current crossovers is that you can’t see them as they are on the floor behind the speakers. They already have components in them that are of a better, or equal, standard than many ‘high-end’ speakers.
Mark

FrostEOne

Post by FrostEOne » Sat May 18, 2019 7:22 pm

Mate,

I wasn't aware Jantzen would make custom coils, thanks I'll check that out.
Still going to try to make a choke coil DIY, friend owns an electric motor shop that's next door to another friends machine shop.

47uf Bass caps are Mundorf electrolytic, originals were electrolytic.
All the rest are Mundorf Supreme.

Made each section of the crossover individual boards for easy modification/replacement.
Still plan to mount crossover on back of speaker and use the OEM L-Pads, I feel the need to tweak them occasionally for different tube types.

Mark B