Hi-Fi discussion
Arkless Electronics

Re: Arkless Electronics Transconductance phono stage

Post by Arkless Electronics » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Great stuff!!

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Been busy with work shit, new professional bike team and I'm lumbered with all the technical stuff for the UCI bike approval....

I'll sort it this week and bring it up next weekend or during the week.

PSU BACK PANEL.

Main chassis to follow.
One more Paradise left to complete.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:34 pm

I would be tempted to flip the mains input over so you don’t have to reach over the mains cable to get to the on/off switch.
Mark

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 am

I've always done the IECs whichever way lets you look over the back to see the lettering on the switch when its off, from above. It's usually the easiest way for internal wiring too as there's always stacked wires which you want above the box on the back of the IEC housing for easier soldering up.

Here's the main chassis Jez.

You can have it anyway you like, PSU over on the right instead, RCA's could be in pairs for II OO LL, however best goes with the circuit inside.

Let me know what you'd prefer using the first letter of the socket purpose for notation, example below. Then i get a revised cutting outline done and sort holes and lettering with Mark this week.

--P---P-----I-O-L-----I-O-L--

Arkless Electronics

Post by Arkless Electronics » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:11 pm

You have been busy Si :D Looking good. I would have put the sockets one above another in two rows, with the inputs at the opposite end to the PSU sockets, loading next to the inputs and then a fair size gap before the output sockets in roughly the middle. I would put the earth binding post (which I don't see in your diagram) in the centre line close to the input sockets.

On the PSU I would put a front panel on/off switch as some people seem to stupidly believe that if the mains switch is not on the front then that means it should be powered up 24/7, which it (or any item of hi fi) should not. I would also put power on/off LED's on the front of both PSU and main unit, maybe one for each channel as there appears to be two PSU outputs here.

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:58 pm

No worries, i can rustle a pic up tomorrow. 10mm front panel- I'd leave the switch on the back, that'll be a bitch to chop out.

Arkless Electronics

Post by Arkless Electronics » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Ah... still doable with a big toggle switch though. Thick front panels like that have been the bane of my life with the last few custom builds I've done. I will not have them as an option for future custom work as it's caused things to be like 10 hours of cutting, drilling and filing for every one hour of actual electronic engineering!

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm

I have to say a 'big toggle switch' sounds proper fuggly!
Mark

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:43 pm

How about

Nice symmetry and a central gnd.

Arkless Electronics

Post by Arkless Electronics » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:14 pm

YNWaN wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm
I have to say a 'big toggle switch' sounds proper fuggly!
Practical though. With a 10mm front panel virtually anything else could mean 2 hours+ labour just to fit a fecking on/off switch!

leave the switch out if it is felt that it spoils the looks that much but I'll certainly be saying that it should be switched off after a listening session in the instructions.