So, another year and a chance for some creativity!

Hi-Fi discussion
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: So, another year and a chance for some creativity!

Post by YNWaN » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:28 pm

Yeah, a tricky issue though. Isn’t this why so many North American designed speakers sound a bit overblown and overly bass centred in UK homes? That is, UK homes having smaller, brick built, rooms and NA ones often significantly larger and predominantly timber and therefore more lossy.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:31 pm

On a similar note, I tell you what a couple of my friends want and that is updated/reinvented Naim SBL’s. The aspects that appeal to them are the size, the fact they work right up against a wall and that the bass is still very tight and dry. The tendency to tonal ‘simplicity’ and harshness is not desired ;).
Mark

reffc

Post by reffc » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:08 pm

I wasn't a huge fan of the SBL myself (I found them a little dry and rather bass shy) but understand why some might have liked them. Making a separate box system like that isn't the cheapest way to go. If I did something like that it would probably be a more affordable version of something perhaps in a similar vein to the Verity Rienzi or maybe even a pair of rfc raptors coupled to large separate bass enclosures and driven from external crossovers...but a quality 3-way, two separate boxes, plus all that entails, for under say £1500? Not very likely. I'd love to do something like this if there was demand, but it would be far less affordable.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:43 pm

I wasn’t thinking of the separate box aspect, just the overall form.
Mark

reffc

Post by reffc » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:31 pm

A two-way tower with sloped upper baffle? Doable, but I would only consider it if there was benefit other than for the form.