Do you have an excess £100 and want a Radiohead album you already own? Yes - then read on:

A place to discuss the music we like or hate!
YNWaN
Site Admin

Do you have an excess £100 and want a Radiohead album you already own? Yes - then read on:

Postby YNWaN » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:34 pm

So it's the 20th anniversary of Radioheads seminal (some may argue that 'The Bends' was more 'seminal', but ignoring that) album 'OK Computer'. To celebrate this fact Radiohead have been on tour* and also rereleased said album. As usual it's available on a host of formats and packages. As I'm only interested in the viny let's skip over the CD and download. In vinyl format there have been three options; 1/ triple black 180g vinyl, 2/ triple 180g blue viny - limited quantity pretty much entirely sold out world over, and 3/ an elaborate box including the triple black 180g viny - presented in a book rather like the recent premium release of the new album 'A Moon Shaped Pool', two further notebooks of notes and lyrics and a cassette of outtakes etc.

Well, getting to the point, my own 'premium' box set has just been delivered. I must say it caught me a bit by surprise as A/ I ordered it some time ago and, B/ the package delivered was blooming massive! This was inside:

I must say it's a remarkably handsome bit of presentation! The book that holds the records is really thick with loads of content and very nicely bound - like a thicker version of the 'A Moon Shaped Pool' book. The two accompanying note books are very cool too with their white embossed covers.

BOXED EDITION
Rescued from defunct formats, prised from dark cupboards and brought to light after two decades in cold storage... OK COMPUTER: the original twelve track album, three unreleased tracks and eight B-sides, all newly remastered from the original analogue tapes*.

Inside a black box emblazoned with a dark image of a burned copy of OK COMPUTER are three heavyweight 180 gram black 12" vinyl records and a hardcover book containing more than 30 artworks, many of which have never been seen before except by us, and full lyrics to all the tracks except the ones that haven't really got any lyrics.

Under this weighty tome are yet more surprises: a notebook containing 104 pages from Thom Yorke's library of scrawled notes of the time, a sketchbook containing 48 pages of Donwood and Tchock's 'preparatory work' and a C90 cassette mix tape compiled by us, taken from OK COMPUTER session archives and demo tapes.

To avoid accusations of wilful obscurity, a 320k MP3, 16- or 24-bit WAV download of 23 tracks is available instantly and a download of the cassette will be inside the box.

* I recently went to see Radiohead play in Manchester and they were absolutely outstanding :).
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Do you have an excess £100 and want a Radiohead album you already own? Yes - then read on:

Postby YNWaN » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:14 am

I listened to this last night and this is a really stuningly good recording. Absolutely searing dynamics and some astonishing 'stunt' bass that makes it feel like the room is being turned inside out!
Mark

MTPapaDan

Re: Do you have an excess £100 and want a Radiohead album you already own? Yes - then read on:

Postby MTPapaDan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Nice. I just want to know how you are going to listen to the cassette? I was just reviewing my equipment and, nope, nothing with a cassette player. I wonder if there is a "group" forum out there who listens to cassettes exclusively because they prefer the sound over vinyl and digital? :o :lol: :roll: Have to wonder if they obsess over motor speeds and head alignment, etc. Would that cover reel-to-reel? I heard some quality r to r back when they had discrete 4 channel audio. If I'm not mistaken most music pre80s was recorded and mixed on analog tape? Some well into the 90s?

I am not familiar with Radiohead so I'll get on Tidal and give 'em a listen.

Yes I'm still here. I check out every post because I get notifications via email. Just haven't had much to contribute. Still plugging away on my car. Things one wishes to take 2 hours, take 20. I can't use Photobucket anymore they "closed" my "trial" account I'd had for at least 3 years! :o So sorry no pictures for now. I am taking pictures of everything I do from disassembly, repair, refurbishing, and reassembly. I intend to make a digital portfolio of the whole process and copy to DVD-R.

Cheers everyone!
Dan

YNWaN
Site Admin

Postby YNWaN » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:25 am

Ah, well, luckily I happen to own a mint one of these:

Back in the day this was THE cassette deck to own and you could even get a modified Snaps power supply to power it - which I also had. In the intervening years the Snaps has been massively upgraded to become a power supply to my headphone amp, both of which are on long term loan to my friend Adam. However, I still have the Sony so I do have the ability to play a cassette.

I listened to some of this album again last night and it was really excellent. I happened to mention it to my friend Roger (Tigerpaw) and he said he had bought the triple vinyl and had sent it back because the pressing was so noisy! Mine really isn't noisy at all, in fact it's remarkably quiet (surface noise that is). So it sounds like there is some pressing irregularity (my records are also very flat).

The Photobucket thing is a total arse! I can re-host all my pictures with another provider but I can't really then recreate all the image links - that would take forever.

Show me some recent car pics please :).
Mark

sq225917

Postby sq225917 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:33 pm

That must be a 100% different master to the more standard triple black vinyl version I've just bought, cos mine is shit. Nowhere near a good as my original version. It's muted, dull, with recessed vocals and some strange mix choices that give a completely different depth perspective to the original. I think you might be getting a bit overawed with a 'new thing' and some post gig love for Radiohead... I assume you don't have another copy to compare it against?

Mine is the most disappointing pressing I've received in a long time.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Postby YNWaN » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:01 am

I've got the original as well, bought when it came out - I'll give it a spin later. I do think this new one needs a good twist of the volume to get it going - perhaps that's the issue?
Mark

Return to “Music”