Just found a record I had forgotten about and never played...

A place to discuss the music we like or hate!
YNWaN
Site Admin

Just found a record I had forgotten about and never played...

Post by YNWaN »

Chatting to a friend the other day he mentioned to me that Dead Can Dance were doing a North American tour (not a lot of use to me :() and Agnes Obel was their support act (he’s a big fan of hers - as am I). Anyway, that got me wondering if a new record was coming out and so I set about a Google search. Well, in short, there isn’t any mention of a new record being imminent (I’m on their mailing list anyway so would hear straight away) - but what I did find was a record called ‘The White Wind’;

It’s an album (a double album) of rare and previously unreleased recordings. However, it’s classed as an ‘unofficial’ release and this term usually means a bootleg and indeed I do own another true bootleg DCD album (and blooming awful the recording quality is too). As a result I haven’t actually listened to ‘The White Wind’ and then I forgot I had it. Anyway, I stumbled across one of the tracks on YouTube and it sounded very promising so I’ll give the album a spin this afternoon.
Mark
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Just found a record I had forgotten I have and never played...

Post by YNWaN »

I’ve just had a look at the records and I see one is on purple vinyl with dark splatter and the other on a solid purple of a slightly different shade (more burgundy). The gatefold sleeve is nicely made though.

Oh, like this in fact:

Mark
sq225917

Re: Just found a record I had forgotten about and never played...

Post by sq225917 »

Have you been buying shelves?
Paradise phonostage, benz lp, kuzma stabi s 12
Bpbp, nuerochrome mod86p bridged monos
Yamaha ns100m, quarter cut Oak veneer, raal 140-15d ribbons
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Those are just pictures I purloined from the Internet ;).

I’m listening to it right now in fact (was playing Doom Eternal before that) - what an interesting mix of stuff it is. I see Discogs list it but say it cannot be traded which suggests it is an illegal bootleg of some sort - as does the fact that mine appears to have been pressed in Russia...

It’s not been recorded live at any gigs though, the stuff on side one is far too early to only be appearing now and the stuff on side two is far too good a quality for it not to be from some master.
Mark
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

I see that my first record is very like the one pictured earlier, but the second is a different colour, sort of more blood/purple and solid with no other swirl etc. I also see that some were produced with the second disc transparent - all very odd.

The second record does have some stuff recorded live which still sounds OK - it really is a very interesting, and odd, collection - just as the title suggests.
Mark