Review of "Forever Changes" by Love.

A place to discuss the music we like or hate!
MTPapaDan

Review of "Forever Changes" by Love.

Post by MTPapaDan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:50 am

Love; "Forever Changes"

A House is not a motel"
Music: I very much liked the flow of the music with a core of chords repeated continuously, overlaid with periods of stinging guitar riffs.
Lyrics: The vocals were smooth and understandable. They conveyed the tenor of the song. This tenor I will call "calm invitational". The singer wants others to call him and get free of the "tubs of blood" and come to my house where he "has no shackles." All in all a palatable invitation to; come on over and escape from the world. Ironic given the title suggests he doesn't want to run a motel.

"andmoreagain"
Music: This song has a very "Renaissance" feeling to it. A song written in the moors of Scotland perhaps? The music seems a little "breezy" and lighthearted for such a serious subject.
Lyrics: Ah, the initial rush of love making your heartbeat faster, followed by the eventual loss of excitement when things go "Bad". Now the heart beats at the fear of loss. As in real life the singer notes he has walls of material goods to wall himself from feeling his loss. The singer blames his loss on his desired one, supposedly incapable of returning his 'true' love. The very title admonishes the listener to the problem of repeating the same mistakes; and more again.

"The Daily Planet"
Music: Again a rather pleasant tune for a serious subject.
Lyrics: Oh, woe is me today will be just like yesterday and so on to ad infinium. Even trips to town are marked by trepidation. Oh, look out! I may see things which repulse my being. There's a lady letting her son play with toys of war. She just wants to prepare him for the real war. Even the iceman does the same thing day after day. Yes, listener. We just sit here on earth and go round and round in our boring, repetitive 'sameness'. The title sums it all up nicely, the routine of our daily lives.

"Old Man"
Music: Beautiful acoustic guitar work counter pointed by soaring violins.
Lyrics: There was an old man who gave advice and his advise was good and that's how I fell in love with you. I just didn't know his advise was good until you came along. Sweet sentiment.

"The red telephone"
Music: Again the song has an almost ethereal quality carried by the violins.
Lyric: Back to the life is boring theme. I don't want to do this anymore so "count me out."
Time is your constraint not mine, I have all the time in the world. But I don't want you to take up my time. (the unspoken idea is that if you want to discuss daily boredom, do it with someone who cares) The idea of someone (we assume his kind of believer) getting arrested for being indifferent to societal norms seems ludicrous, until we remember the times; Vietnam, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Haight-Ashbury, and flower power. In hindsight, we can recall people who "dropped out" being harassed or arrested for just sitting in a park. This red telephone had a line to call for Freedom. The irony of this phone is the Cold War angle. The hotline to atomic war. I just want to live free before the bombs start dropping. What difference to you if it's all going to end anyways?

Summary:
I found the album reflective of the times. Part of the evidence is the less than poetic "free verse" lyrical style. Also, it has strong psychedelic rock roots sounding very similiar to some parts of The Beatles "Yellow Submarine", "Sgt Pepper", the Doors' "Strange Parade", and Jefferson Airplane's "Volunteers". All these albums had a ethereal quality and relied heavily on the use of strings and horns. Many of these songs featured "outside" sounds like asides in a Shakespeare play; randoms noises, comments, and observations outside the frame work of the actual song. Many songs had very "edgy" or distorted electric guitar screeches and moans added for effect. For example, Airplane's song "Lather" uses all these techniques in a single song.
Though "Forever Changes" is a fine album reflecting the "summer of love", 1967, especially to those who chose to drop out and experiment with alternative life styles, it falls far short of many contemporary albums. The Beatles three so called "psychedelic" albums "Yellow Submarine", "Magical Mystery Tour", and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", were more cohesive and focused works. They were more excessable because they had more melodic tunes and more accessible lyrics. This lyrical deliniation is important. Though many people embraced "free verse" poetry during those times, for example, Jim Morrison; in the passing decades much of the free verse of the sixties has been marginalized by the majority of listeners. In the 2000s, many songs now include free verse as an insert to more melodical, rhyming lyrics. The singer Ed Sheran uses this technique in many songs.

In summary, I'm not going to rush out and buy this album. It's not my cup of tea. I prefer other groups. I can see how people who were exposed to this in their youth, might find it more appealing than I. Rating -B
Last edited by MTPapaDan on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Review of "Forever Changes" by Love.

Post by YNWaN » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:45 pm

Thanks for the review Dan, very good 8-) . You can find the whole album on YouTube and I've just had a listen to it. I certainly agree that it is very much 'of its time', strongly psychedelic in the American style. Lyrically it's a bit winsome and quite often the lyrics seem to struggle to fit into the music. Overall I quite liked it, though more for the music and atmosphere than the rather naive lyrics.
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:43 pm

YNWaN wrote:Thanks for the review Dan, very good 8-) . You can find the whole album on YouTube and I've just had a listen to it. I certainly agree that it is very much 'of its time', strongly psychedelic in the American style. Lyrically it's a bit winsome and quite often the lyrics seem to struggle to fit into the music. Overall I quite liked it, though more for the music and atmosphere than the rather naive lyrics.
Mark,
Thanks for distilling what I tried to say, strongly psychedelic indeed. Yes, lyrics struggle against the music at times. At times the lyrics were "jumpy", they had one tone and direction and then suddenly diverged into another train of thought. Maybe someone was tripping or stoned when he wrote his lyrics? Yes, more "Mood" music than intellectual stimulation. Maybe it would be great (as rated on certain Top of lists) or more accessible if I still imbibed in the wacky weed. :o :lol: :lol:

ATB,
Dan

martinjohn308

Post by martinjohn308 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:43 am

Hi Dan,

I appreciate you taking time with your review of Love - " Forever Changes " i know everybody has their own opinion but i beg to differ. I wouldn't put any LP's by Jefferson Airplane, Doors in the same league, both fine bands and i have all of their albums bought when they came out.

The Beatles never hit the sweet spot for me made some incredible music but i wouldn't put Yellow Submarine in the same league.

Alone again Or such a beautiful song beautifully executed the acoustic guitars are amazing, Bryan, Arthur and Johnnie Echols the 3 of them harmonizing and the strings in the background.

I have well in excess of 1000 LP's collected over the years found lots of albums but you're hard put to find albums that don't have "weak tracks" or fillers.

Yes when they were making the album they were spaced out on heroin etc

It's funny some bands i find the 1st albums are their best work, Dire Straits where all the songs are very good played by a tight four piece band. Again the Eagles i preffered their first two albums when it had a country rock / Bluegrass feel to it as opposed to the heavy rock with Don Felder and Joe Walsh brought along.

Hey but it's all about opinions what's one mans meat is another mans poison.

Regards,

Martin

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:20 pm

Martin,
I liked the acoustic guitars and the vocals very much. I just couldn't access the lyrics. I did give it a B- .
I started collecting albums in 1964 at 12 years of age, I was in high school during the summer of love and in college after that. I was exposed to all the great music groups. My point is I never heard of Love until your post. I have albums by Steppenwolf, The Electric Prunes, The 13th Floor Elevators, Iron Butterfly, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Grateful Dead, the Byrds, The Chambers Brothers, early Pink Floyd, Jimmy Hendrix, Big Brother & HC, The Band, Cream, Vanilla Fudge, Traffic, ELP, and Ten Years After. Perhaps Love was more popular in the UK? Anyway, I think my point on accessibility holds true. All the above groups at least experimented with psychedelic rock characteristics, though there were many others like Zeppelin who were considered hard rock bands. A lot of the early synth music was considered psychedelic because it bounced all over and around the sound field. Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" or LPs "Lucky Man", for example. My music collection is right on par with yours, right around 1K. Like you say everyone has their own taste, how else can you explain Justin Bieber? :lol: So, I am glad you enjoy Love. We older guys are stuck in our ways! :roll:

Respectfully,

Dan

flatpopely
Site Admin

Post by flatpopely » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Dan.

Listen to Radio Paradise. I've discovered loads of great stuff on there.
Flat Earth rocks with PJC!
(Porcupine Tree are the new...'insert fav prog band here')
LP12/Ittok LVII/Tranquility/RubiKon/ASAKA/RadiKal
Soundblaster X-Fi HD
SONY CDP 338ESD
SONY TC K570
JVC AX-Z1010TN
Linn SARA (YNWAN bespoke build)

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:48 am

I've become rather fond of BBC Radio 6.
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Thanks for the tips. I am listening to RP right now. Quite acceptable sound too. I'll have to play around a bit, but it seems like a ways to discover new artists who match my tastes. I don't know if I can get BBC6 in USA? I'll try later.

Cheers,
Dan

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:11 pm

It's a digital station Dan, I don't know if that makes any difference. I think it's full title is 'BBC Radio 6 Music'.
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:11 pm

By Golly, BBC is available here! All the radio including BBC 6. Well at least I'll know what's popular. It takes some work to skip through the trash on Paradise and BBC 6. Otherwise I'm pleased you both pointed me in a good direction. I have been relying on You Tube as the most popular tunes get covered very quickly. Did you see Jasmine Thompson was #1 in Germany and is now headlining her own show? I guess I can spot talent after all. 8-)