Courtney Barnett & Churches

A place to discuss the music we like or hate!
YNWaN
Site Admin

Courtney Barnett & Churches

Post by YNWaN » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:07 pm

No, not a weird double act or a tale of Courtney and her love of ecclesiastical buildings - two new albums (vinyl records that is) loaned to me - and very different they are to each other, very different indeed.

First let us consider Churches -or as they spell it 'Chvrches' - this is electronic music which manages to sound current and retro simultaneously:

As you can see, the album is called 'Every Open Eye' and is pressed onto 180gm pale blue transparent vinyl - it does look very cool. It is also beautifully packaged and really a very nice object. Unfortunately, for me, that's where the beauty ends and I found the music distinctly soulless, not helped by the very digital production :(.

On the other hand there is Courtney Barnett and her rather lengthily named album ' Sometime I sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit.'

This is an entirely different kind of record - 'powerfully whimsical' is how I would describe it. It's packed with catchy tunes and complex lyrics and has all the soul missing from the Chvches release. In fact I liked this indie/punk album so much I've just ordered my own copy. Oh, the recording, again it is the opposite of the Chvrches, it's warm, a bit soft and quite low-fi :).
Mark

sq225917

Re: Courtney Barnett & Churches

Post by sq225917 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:35 pm

I knew you'd like her. What's not to love on an album with a song called 'Aqua Profunda', about trying to get a boyfriend at the local swimming baths.

I really like this album a lot, it's catchy, well written and it makes me feel young.
One more Paradise left to complete.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Yeah it's really very charming and I know what you mean about it making one feel young. The Chvches one on the other hand.... shame really as I rather like it as a thing - that blue/green transparent vinyl is very cool.
Mark

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:47 pm

I'll bring my toy drum record Round that's really funky.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:08 pm

Oh, is it on swirly mint green vinyl?
Mark

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Nah, slightly opaque green vinyl but it has a sheet of aluminium in the middle of the record.