Guess the record?

A place to discuss the music we like or hate!
YNWaN
Site Admin

Guess the record?

Post by YNWaN » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:06 pm

Just acquired this novelty:

Oddly, it's one sided and on the blank side is the screen printed image shown above.
Mark

MTPapaDan

Re: Guess the record?

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:42 pm

My Guess:

Dante's "dolce "Inferno" è il mio mondo Beatrice" dol·ce : an instruction to the performer that the music is to be executed softly and sweetly. è il mio mondo : is my world. Sweet music of Hell, Beatrice is my world.

Side one: The gates of Hell
First movement: "The wretched souls of those who lived without infamy and without praise. Mingled are they the chafed choir of the angels, who were not rebels, nor were faithful to God, but were for themselves. The heavens chased them out in order to be pristine. Nor doth the depths of Hell receive them, because the ruined Angels would have some glory over them.
These have no hope of death... mercy and justice disdain them. Let us not speak of them, but do thou look and pass on.
...behind it came so long a train of folk, that I could never have believed death had undone so many."
Second Movement: "This way a good soul never passes...Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."
Side two: The Void: No sound in one movement.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:30 pm

Genius - I wish that were true :).
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 pm

You're just sore I guessed right! Actually the art is a parody of a work called "Paradisio" Paradise. Can't remember the Italians name though.

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:07 pm

[quote="MTPapaDan"]You're just sore I guessed right! Actually the art is a parody of a work called "The White Rose" by Botticelli. It is a rendition of paradise. http://danteworlds.laits.utexas.edu/par ... /1002.html There are paintings of the rings of hell which are circular and also may apply.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:06 pm

Oh, do you think so - I thought it was more Hieronymus Bosch what with the eight pointed star of chaos.
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm

Well? Who is it? I hope it sounds as good as the art work suggests. Bosch was using LSD long before Tim Leary! There certainly is similar chaos in the album art. I think there is a lot more "borrowed" in the album's art work. Sort of like the Sgt Peppers cover. My favorite cover all time is the Beatle's "White" album. Who knew it was a total rejection of the controversial Sgt Peppers cover. John's thumbing his nose at critics everywhere. When I listen I pretend to be a polar bear in a blizzard. 8-) Oh la De, Ob la Da..... "I got blisters on me fingers"

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:43 pm

It's 'Magnet' by The Fierce and the Dead. Apparently "The Fierce and The Dead brought in close friend Mark Buckingham acclaimed artist with credits with both Marvel and DC (and a long term collaboration with Neil Gaiman) to create an original piece of art to be printed onto the b-side of the record. The artwork features images of the band with subject matter taken from the songs and follows the record round in a circle meeting back up at the start creating an endless feel."
Mark