What's your favourite 'one hit wonder'?

A place to discuss the music we like or hate!
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: What's your favourite 'one hit wonder'?

Post by YNWaN » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:11 pm

Yep - what's your plan?
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:05 am

Better late than never. This is an old "thread" (I think that's the right term), but my favorite One hit wonder is "Driver's Seat" (the 12" version is best) by Sniff n' the Tears.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIgW-4EnxO4. This one will test your equipment so turn it up! Face melting LOUD! Immerse yourself. Oh, the video is irrelevant to the music, but this Tube video seems to have the best sound. There's some low lows and some high highs in here, (and voices in the back ground). I would have said, "Radar Love" (Long version) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WfVL7_wFeE by Golden Earring, but they technically had one other hit "Twilight Zone". "RL" has nice drums and cymbals, and some great horns. Play this in a dark room with no lights and TURN IT UP! If the volume isn't bone-chilling it's not loud enough.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:23 am

Loving both :).
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:24 pm

Gee, Mark I would have thought you'd prefer "Twilight Zone"! The lyric is much closer to your preference. Kind 'a dark and introspective. TZ best recording https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHvlXzaBF0. Let me know if it's your cup of tea. (I made another UK reference.) Tea..... ;)

Cheers,
Dan

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:03 pm

Now don't take the the piss Dan, that's full on wanky pastiche!

You need to get onboard with your 'American Gothic'.
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:09 am

But I read Anne Rice, listen to The Doors, and watch Lost Souls and The Matrix. However, I shall pull out my Edgar Allan Poe collection and get a good read on! Not sure if listening to The Clash counts or not. Ironically, Golden Earring's TZ was their one and only #1 hit in AMERICA. "Radar Love" was voted as the 2nd greatest driving song on the 6th series of Top Gear, behind Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now". Obviously, British bias. They ignored Sniff n' the Tears "Driver's Seat' too. But in my Gothic glory I shall dearly miss Jeremy, Richard, and Captain Slow! Funny stuff that! And cars too. Maybe the "New" TG will have guest vampires or zombies in a reasonably priced car. One can only hope. :roll: All in good fun my friend.

Dan

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:23 am

I know mate - taken as such 8-) .

I wonder what will happen about TG. I suspect the original blokes will start making it again for some satellite company for double the money. The BBC have taken on Chris Evans to host the new show with Suzi Perry. If you don't know him Chris Evans was a radio DJ - really very irritating but owns a Ferrari collection (all been repainted white for some odd reason). Suzie Perry presents bits of the F1 - she has presented quite a bit on shows about cars but I'm not sure she knows that much about them. I suspect they will have a third presenter - a different guest celebrity each week. It doesn't fill me with excitement.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:49 am

I've just heard on the radio that the three musketeers have signed a contract with Amazon to make a new motoring show...
Mark

MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:17 pm

I guess it's true. It's on the AP wire. Here's the CBC release. :D http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/top-gear-s- ... 46?cmp=rss I wonder if they can still have The Stig? The BBC probably won't let them use the name or the driver. He was always such a part of the show! :cry: I read about Clarkson's "fist a cuffs" and it said TG was the BBC's top grossing show with world-wide revenues of $1.4B USD! That includes franchise fees for many other countries to have there own spin off. Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg! Now I'll have to get Amazon Prime. :x They could have gone with Netflix and saved me a ton of $$$$$$$$$$! By the way, what's a radio? :lol:

D

Arkless Electronics

Post by Arkless Electronics » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:06 pm

Oh there's loads but I'l raise you a "sideshow" by Barry Biggs.