What you spinning right now

A place to discuss the music we like or hate!
Andy831

What you spinning right now

Post by Andy831 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Could not find a what you listening too tonight type thread so I thought I would kick one off.

Currently playing Butterfield Blues Band In my own dream

Next up Edgar Froese Solo (the virgin years 1974 -1983)

Andy

YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: What you spinning right now

Post by YNWaN » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:51 am

I’ve just bought Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds ‘Let Love In’.

Mark

DSJR

Post by DSJR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am

'Beat' by King Crimson

flatpopely
Site Admin

Post by flatpopely » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:01 am

'Beat' is superb!

Waiting Man cannot be played TOO loud!
Flat Earth rocks with PJC!
(Porcupine Tree are the new...'insert fav prog band here')
LP12/Ittok LVII/Tranquility/RubiKon/ASAKA/RadiKal
Soundblaster X-Fi HD
SONY CDP 338ESD
SONY TC K570
JVC AX-Z1010TN
Linn SARA (YNWAN bespoke build)

DSJR

Post by DSJR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm

My gash old speakers don't play loud I'm sad to say and to the neighbours' relief...

I need to fetch Three of a Perfect Pair out. 'Model Man' is a favourite - that 'walking bass line' is addictive and the lyrics resonate ;)

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:21 pm

What are your speakers?
Mark

savvypaul

Post by savvypaul » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:11 pm

YNWaN wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:51 am
I’ve just bought Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds ‘Let Love In’.
Up there with his best.

I play it fairly regularly, and 'The Firstborn Is Dead' and 'Henry's Dream'.

DSJR

Post by DSJR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:19 pm

What are your speakers?
Something you'd probably get all patronising over...

Some inherited Spendor BC2's which don't thump as much as the infamous BC1, have a touch more sparkle and life to them and this pair has a deep back story for me and are too much to let go of right now. In the workroom, I have some IMF Compacts from 1971 (paper cone drivers, the bass and midrange doped, NOT the Super Compact with KEF B200 and foam-surround (Peerless?) midrange. I twice tried a more modern NVA-derived custom two way and the musical clarity and basic neutrality was breathtaking - especially the second time after the tweeter alignment was sorted, but it kept distracting me too much from my work as good monitors seem to do and the IMF's are still pretty seamless if not as demanding a listen, which suits me just fine. Oh, and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond IV's I use for freshly assembled amp testing...

I've discovered the construction of this late Victorian house and the slightly non-square rooms have the largest effect on the 'sound' of my stereo's. I also have to live with a pair of music loving people who both dislike much of the music I like to play and who have no 'need' for a better quality sound (and I've had a fair amount of gear changes in the earlier part of the last twenty two years so I don't think it's the 'sound' I'm getting now*). I use headphones a fair bit if necessary.

* I was given some TDL Studio 1M's not long ago. These looked great in our little sitting room and herself really wanted to keep them, but in comparison with the ton-up-n-tatty old Spendors, they were found seriously wanting (rather dirty and rough sounding in comparison), so the Spendors were allowed to stay and it was herself's decision. Currently watching some low lamp tables to put them on in lieu of gantry type metal stands or ott wooden ones - floor spikes be damned, it makes little difference with these talking boxes anyway...

Back on topic, some Icehouse... One or two of the better known tracks keep playing in my head and again the lyrics resonate with me right now...

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:35 pm

I don’t know the BC2 very well - it’s certainly a long time since I heard a pair. I would have thought they would play reasonably loud though. I rather liked The BC1 but could never get on with IMF’s - or any transmission lines really.

Hopefully the above wasn’t too patronising?
Mark

DSJR

Post by DSJR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Not at all ;)

The BC1 had a seamless if 'small' quality to it but most suffered with a bass 'honk' which was fine for the Beeb when they used them well off the floor rather than the 9" trolley stands Spendor sold them with most often - last issue ones had a properly tuned port rather than a hole in the baffle.... The BC2 trades a little integration (the larger voice-coil has phase effects at crossover not in the Bc1 and solved in the descended SP1 with same-size voice coil as the previous BC2 (BC3 mid driver too) driver. Bass is rather better on the BC2 and that's why the original owner, a very dear friend of mine, bought them. These cabinets really do 'talk' much more than modern derivatives do and beyond what I suspect you'd call moderate volumes, they begin to sound as if they're going to shake apart. Either that or a kick drum risks bottoming out the main driver. Still lovely on voice and acoustic instruments and they do get Massive Attack into them on occasion ;) So many of my favourite 70's albums were first heard on this pair of speakers, so sentimental feelings really.

The IMF's are stand mounts and these early ones are nothing whatsoever like the larger TL models. The later Super Compact was designed to match the phase and broadly the frequency response of the TLS50 (mostly) in a Quad system but mine are from an earlier age long before this and with different drive units.