So now I’ve bought another two blooming records!

A place to discuss the music we like or hate!
YNWaN
Site Admin

So now I’ve bought another two blooming records!

Post by YNWaN »

The first is the new Courtney Barnett offering (well, it was new in May) and the other is an EP by Ritual Howls!

The Courtney Barnet sound is.... well difficult to describe, it’s quirky, but oddly addictive - she has a lot to say about the little things in life and doesn’t like to use the same lyric twice:

https://milk.milkrecords.com.au/artists ... y-barnett/

The Ritual Howel’s stuff has a distinctly ‘Bauhaus’ quality abou it and is definitely not for those looking for upbeat sounds ;),

https://ritualhowls.bandcamp.com/album/their-body
Mark

sq225917

Re: So now I’ve bought another two blooming records!

Post by sq225917 »

The CB one's great bought that a month back,
One more Paradise left to complete.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

The CB one has just arrived - Par Avion. Unfortunately it also arrived with a £14.50 customs import fee! £8.00 of which is a handling charge!!! Apparently, import charges are applied to anything over £15.00. So the VAT was £6.50 and handling was another £8.00. I’m not buying any more records from Australia that’s for sure.
Mark

karma67

Post by karma67 »

i like the album 'lotta sea lice' she did with kurt vile.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

I’ve not got that but I do have her first ‘Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit’ - which is fantastic.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

A couple of days ago I had a little tidy up of my records. Rather to my surprise I found I don’t just have one copy of Courtney Barnett’s current release, no, I have two! Not only do I have two copies but both are on coloured vinyl - not the same coloured vinyl though. One is a solid, pale lilac, colour and the other is a swirled, semi-transparent, purple....

I also took some records round to a friends yesterday and, much to my surprise, he pointed out that my copy of Keaton Henson’s ‘Birthdays’ is signed (on the back of the sleeve). Apparently only the first 500 preorders were signed so I guess I bought one of them :).
Mark

FrostEOne

Post by FrostEOne »

YNWaN wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:17 am
A couple of days ago I had a little tidy up of my records. Rather to my surprise I found I don’t just have one copy of Courtney Barnett’s current release, no, I have two! Not only do I have two copies but both are on coloured vinyl - not the same coloured vinyl though. One is a solid, pale lilac, colour and the other is a swirled, semi-transparent, purple....
Back in the 70's I cataloged all my albums in a card file, makes them easy to find and helps one to not purchase duplicates.
Currently in the process of converting the card file to an Access database, lot of possibilities for extended information such as vinyl colour, signed edition, etc.
Just my 2p worth.

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Mine are in a totally random order as I usually have a very good memory for such things. Unfortunately I think I’ve likely reached the limit of my memories ability. I did have four record storage cubes sitting on the landing outside my listening room (they’ve been there for months), but I’ve finally moved them in to the listening room. Well, I’ve just moved all my excess records into said cubes and now they are completely full! My intention was that I would have spare space for future purchases but it appears my tardiness in installing the extra storage has been overtaken by my record buying compulsion and now I need more storage!

Oh, I should explain that I already had six of these storage cubes (so I’ve got ten now) and I’m running out of space in the listening room for them to exist.
Mark

YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

I’ve ordered another couple of storage cubes.

Two of the above were only £27.50.

I do like these:

But even reduced they are £55 each.
Mark

FrostEOne

Post by FrostEOne »

I like the top unit better, dislike the exposed plywood edges on the bottom unit. Paint the inside of the top one black if that's what you like.
Here's my album rack, equal to 9 of the ones you're using, as you can see I'm about to outgrow it.