Garage system

Hi-Fi discussion
MTPapaDan

Re: Garage system

Post by MTPapaDan »

Lead set for Fluke family of meters. https://smile.amazon.com/Fluke-TL175-Tw ... RydWU&th=1
MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

I'd buy one of these. https://smile.amazon.com/Fluke-Digital- ... B084D9TYBL
You might be able to find a better price.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Well, after the latest bias adjustments to around 7mV (or as close as my multimeter can get me), and warming up in its case for a couple of hours, I'm now hearing very little noise from the amp at all. Basically nothing. And plugged into my little 150W BMU, even less — almost totally inaudible. So it seems happy and I'll do some listening this evening.

I would like to offer another massive thank you to Will for the incredible amount of work he's done on this -- getting the schematic together, meticulously researching all the parts (including finding me the best prices... in Canadian stores, no less!), and then offering immediate tech support as I fumbled my way through the process. I am truly grateful!

Many others have helped out too. Thanks to all! It's an amazing community here at AudioFlat. I'll try to give back as much as I can as my own experience increases :) The first step will be synthesizing the key parts of this discussion on a blog post this weekend.

Thanks also for those multimeter suggestions, Dan. Simon says he uses a Kewtech KT117 with true RMS, quite inexpensive but not available in Canada. I'm considering going with a very reasonably priced and well reviewed unit on Amazon Canada, with true RMS. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071JL ... P3PJ&psc=1 But might be junk compared to a Fluke...
MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

Well the DC range starts at 600 mv ±(0.8%+3). The Fluke 15b+ 400mv DC +- .05% or .1mv +3 digits. More resolution and basically the same accuracy. For fine alignments I'll take the Fluke. Today I actually bought the Fluke 15b+ from Amazon with US warranty. https://smile.amazon.com/FLUKE-15B-Rang ... 490&sr=8-2 Others may be cheaper, but if you read the reviews you find these are made for the Chinese market and have no warranty in US!!
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

That is great news Adam, it is good to know at least one more Nait is singing like it should :)
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

So next question, how does it sound? After all this, do you prefer the Rega, or the Schiit?!!? :o
Last edited by Nobeone on Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Well I was just about to write -- looks like you're waking up just as I'm going to sleep. It sounds AMAZING -- you clearly picked all the right components! Seriously, I was stunned -- everything in amazing focus, incredible dynamics. I'll write up some more coherent thoughts tomorrow and repeat my little comparison with the four test tracks tomorrow night... but the Nait is clearly better than the other two amps, and definitely better than it sounded before the recap. And, it would seem, an amazing match for the NS-1000Ms!
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

Fantastic news, great work Adam, now you just need to steel yourself for the Naim hating trolls as well as the LP12 hating trolls and enjoy the tunes!
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Fantastic news :). Though I’m afraid Nobeone is spot on about the trolls.
Mark
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

hifiaf wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:40 am you clearly picked all the right components!
Ah standing on the shoulders of giants by following what Naim originally fitted as best I could, taking account of what Naim service/Class A fit now, what Witch Hat fit, and years of reading pfm diy forum. Very pleased it seems to work out OK :D