Site Admin

Re: What to do with a noisy Lingo 4

Post by YNWaN »

Ah :).
Mark (100% Analogue)
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

I got the Lingo 4 back in today. Not much to report -- I've already done a detailed installation guide -- except that I now understand how to use the little tacho-mounting bits that were supplied with my Khan top plate. Definitely much, much neater than anything I've managed with a tacho before. I'll let the pictures do the talking:

https://www.hifiaf.com/wp-content/uploa ... _5571.jpeg

https://www.hifiaf.com/wp-content/uploa ... _5572.jpeg

https://www.hifiaf.com/wp-content/uploa ... _5573.jpeg

Everything is now working properly. The power LEDs on the switch start out bright red (33.3) or green (45) and then go dim once they've gotten to speed. Cleaning the record with a brush does make the LEDs light back up, so the tacho is definitely working.

Most importantly, this Lingo 4 is *dead quiet*. I think it's quieter than the Mober. I can't hear any noise at all with the "naked ear," and with my ear pressed to the plinth the noise is very quiet. (This is *without* the Elusive Audio sorbothane motor pad, which seems like it won't quite fit.)

I listened to a couple of track, which definitely sounded good, though a think a bit behind the Mober in terms of finesse and timbral rightness. I'll do a bunch more listening tomorrow (and I'll leave the motor running overnight).
Adam
sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

Looks good
Paradise phonostage, benz lp, kuzma stabi s 12
Bpbp, nuerochrome mod86p bridged monos
Yamaha ns100m, quarter cut Oak veneer, raal 140-15d ribbons
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Yes, does look very neat :).
Mark (100% Analogue)
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Ah, so, you removed the Linn mounting plate and installed it directly on the khan top plate (in a different location)?
Keith

LP12, Ekos 2, Argo i, Stageline K, NAC252, SC2, NAP250.2, Aerial 5B, Spendor LS3/5A, Harbeth P3ESR.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Yes that’s right. The Khan has two threaded holes in the top plate, and those little bits obviate the need for the Linn tacho mounting plate (which I always disliked!) This system gets the tacho in a slightly different position but it seems absolutely ideal: very close to them inner rim of the platter, and just the right height. A very nice solution engineered by Roger! (Though this all would have been much simpler if Roger had made an instruction manual!)

I was thinking that if I end up liking the Lingo I could always house the electronics externally. That would be a very simple DIY job.

Mark, do you think a Lingo would work with your heavy oil? Or does that require the ability to adjust torque, and this the Meldano software?

Si and Mark, I wish you could give the Lingo a try, would be interesting to see how it compares in terms of noise to the Meldano/Rega 24v setup.
Adam
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

I think the heavy oil would confuse the Lingo and result in the LEDs being permanently brightly lit.
Mark (100% Analogue)
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Gotcha :)

I’m looking forward to lots of listening tonight (Christmas in lockdown will be a bit lonely but more time with music is some compensation!) — I’m really amazed at how quietly the Lingo runs.
Adam
sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

I think you could probably up the viscosity a bit. I run the mober dc with a blend of 1k and 5k viscosity which comes out at 3.5k.

5k was too thick and sent it whappy. With the meldano I ran straight 10k, no issues.

And 3.5k is better than standard linn oil, obviously so with the mober.

Worth a punt.
Paradise phonostage, benz lp, kuzma stabi s 12
Bpbp, nuerochrome mod86p bridged monos
Yamaha ns100m, quarter cut Oak veneer, raal 140-15d ribbons
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

hifiaf wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:27 pm Gotcha :)
I’m looking forward to lots of listening tonight (Christmas in lockdown will be a bit lonely but more time with music is some compensation!) — I’m really amazed at how quietly the Lingo runs.
Well, you've got all your friends on this forum! :)
Keith

LP12, Ekos 2, Argo i, Stageline K, NAC252, SC2, NAP250.2, Aerial 5B, Spendor LS3/5A, Harbeth P3ESR.