What to do with a noisy Lingo 4

Hi-Fi discussion
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: What to do with a noisy Lingo 4

Post by YNWaN »

Where is this standoff that has been revised - do we know?

A standoff suggests a spacer of some sort rather than an electrical issue directly.
Mark (100% Analogue)
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

The new standoffs are 15 mm long instead of 18mm long. Also 2 of them (not sure why only 2) have been changed to plastic.
Keith

LP12, Ekos 2, Argo i, Stageline K, NAC252, SC2, NAP250.2, Aerial 5B, Spendor LS3/5A, Harbeth P3ESR.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

Yes it's the fact that they're plastic that is supposed to stop the ground loop. Two standoffs come pre-mounted to the PCB, both metal, so I left the metal ones there and put the plastic ones in the two other spots... but apparently it's supposed to be the other way around to prevent the ground loop?

Anyway, I'm already planning a cheap and easy way to mount the control PCB outside the deck, so this will shortly be a moot point for me :)
Adam
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

As standoffs are literally pennies, surely Linn could make all four of them plastic...
Mark (100% Analogue)
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

I don't think it's a cost issue - maybe they need the strength of 2 metal ones(?) Not sure how this works, ground-loop-wise, though(?)
Keith

LP12, Ekos 2, Argo i, Stageline K, NAC252, SC2, NAP250.2, Aerial 5B, Spendor LS3/5A, Harbeth P3ESR.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

As you'll see, I'm taking my holiday very seriously, and totally refusing to do any real work. Nonetheless, I'm more or less incapable of being idle, so I'm taking care of various projects.

Today's: "externalizing" the Lingo 4 board.

As a reminder, here is what the board looks like:

https://www.hifiaf.com/wp-content/uploa ... 03763.jpeg

Here is a sketch of how I think it would work, drawn freehand because I felt like it :)

https://www.hifiaf.com/wp-content/uploa ... _5592.jpeg

You would need, I think, 9 conductors from the TT to the box.
-- four for the motor (1,2,3,4)
-- two for the tacho (5,6)
-- three for the on-off switch (7,8,9)

Q: Could you eliminate some of these conductors by using common grounding? I don't know much at all about this... but there must be a ground in each of the motor, tacho, and on/off switch (I think there are actually two grounds in the motor). If they could be combined, that could save as many as four conductors...

Anyway, I think you could get this done with a Neutrik 10-pin XLR. They're not *too* expensive.
Socket: https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/568-NC10FD-LX-B/
Connector: https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/568-NC10MXX-14-B/

Q: What cable would you use? What wire gauge would be required? Could you use, say, an ethernet cable (which I think have enough conductors?), or would the wire gauge be too little? You could also just wrap 9 wires (say 24awg) in some sheathing.

The main board is about 15cm x 15cm, the XLR connector from the PSU box comes in at a funny angle, so you need clearance of at least 18cm.

I think this box would do the trick: https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/546-1557HBK/ 20 x 20 x 4.5 (the Lingo board is only 2.5cm tall)

I could also, of course, stick it in a Naim shoebox case if it eventually earned that honour...

As for internal connectors...

In the external Lingo 4 board box, you would need:
-- a 4-pin XLR socket to accept power from the PSU box
-- a 4-pin XLR connector to plug into the power into the board
-- a male stereo miniplug to plug into the board's input for the the on-off switch (7,8,9)
-- a 4-pin connector to get the motor wires (1,2,3,4) into the motor input on the main board (the existing green connector can be recycled for this)
-- nothing more needed for the tacho wires (5,6), there's already a screw terminal on the board

In the deck itself, mounted to the cross brace (?), I guess you could just use a bunch of screw terminals. That would allow you do detach the motor, tacho, and on-off connectors if needed. If you wanted to get fancy, you could use female mini plug sockets, or whatever those types of green connectors Linn use for the motor, but screw terminals seem like they would be sufficient...

Probably about a $100 project all told...
Adam
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Do you have to have the on/off/speed switch on the turntable?
Mark (100% Analogue)
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

If you look closely at the board you may see that the two grey wires (from the motor) are combined immediately after the connector - is this the case? If so then you can reduce the wire needs to 8 lines.
Mark (100% Analogue)
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

The switch could go on the box... but then it couldn't be hidden away, so probably more convenient to leave the switch in the table. Hmmm...

When I get the Lingo 4 board out, I'll have a look to see if the motor grounds connect.

--

Hmm, and I wonder if the board itself needs to be grounded in any special way. I guess that's probably handled via the XLR connection to the PSU box, though. If I end up mounting it in a metal case, I'll probably want to mount the board on plastic standoffs just to be safe :)
Adam
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

The CAT cables not a bad idea because you are going to have to keep an eye on overall cable diameter if you are going to use the Canon connectors (which are a good idea).
Mark (100% Analogue)